Monday, December 20, 2010

Things I Don't Get: Furry Haters

Every now and then, I'll think of something I don't quite get and have the urge to write about it. This is one of those times.


I would be surprised if I haven't already said something like this first part in a previous blog, but I'm going to say it now, just to get it out of the way, in case I haven't.

I'm a furry. A fan of anthropomprphized animals. I like cartoons of all sorts and especially those where the characters are various animals given human form in some mode or another. I still fantasize about what it would be like to live in that sort of universe, and even wonder what it would be like to be some other creature than a human. One of my favorites in that regard is the domestic cat.

Maybe that's kind of a weird thing for a man in his 30s, but I neither can nor will make that judgment because it's a normal way of thinking and being for me.

Now, having said all that, I sometimes find myself wondering just what it is that the Internet at large has against furries. I mean, it's not like I've just admitted to being some sort of child molesting pervert who will have sex with anything that's got a hole in it. I know in my case, such a thing couldn't be farther from the truth, and the same tends to hold true for the other people I know who are a part of the community.

Speaking for myself, it's rare for me to think that a woman is attractive, especially sexually, if I know she's under the age of 18. And to be perfectly honest, I prefer them to be a few years either side of my own age, i.e. late twenties and early thirties. Much younger than that, and they still have a little much maturing to do for my tastes. Much older, and well, why bother, really. Sorry, ladies older than 35 or so.

By now, I'm sure a lot of the people reading this will have at least read a few of my other posts, seen my uStream show, and/or seen or heard me call in on ZipperFish Live. The hope is that I've been able to project myself as close to how I really am as possible. I'm a fairly benign fellow, perhaps even reserved in a lot of cases, and maybe even a little bit funny every now and then.

Sure, there are the bad apples in the community, but every community, every group of people has members like that. Doesn't really matter what sort of group you look into. There's sci-fi fans who are crazy, drama fans that take it to far, BDSM fettishists that don't know when to stop, just to name a few off the top of my head. Hell, I know some otherwise “normal” individuals who come across as more molestery than even the nastiest furry I know without even trying.

With all that in mind, I must say that when I was watching my Twitter feed after work last night, I found myself wondering why anthro art Web site Fur Affinity was experincing a DDOS attack. Are people really so afraid of us furries that they're willing to go to that length to lash out? What is there to be gained from that? It's not like there's a lot of money to be gained, from what I understand. There must certainly be better sources of personal information out there.

So really, this is one of those “Why can't we all just get along?” sort of things. It's not like we furries are particularly scary people. In fact, get to know a few of us, and you might find that in general, furries are actually less scary than a lot of other people out there. Or, at least that's true of myself and the others that I know.

At any rate, the whole mess brings to mind a remix of the Dr. Wily Stage 1 music I found on OverClocked ReMix a couple months ago called For You.

Other Related Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment