Friday, June 24, 2011

My Little Ponies?

For as popular as the franchise has become recently, I suppose it was inevitable that I would write something like this.

I remember the My Little Ponies franchise from the 80s, when I was a kid. It was primarily aimed at girls, and since there were so many of them around me, I had quite a bit of exposure. However, since I was, and still am, really, a boy, the appeal was mostly lost on me.

Fast forward 25 or 30 years to today. A guy, a literal guy, I know online sent a link to the first episode of My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic on YouTube to a group we're in. From what I've seen so far, it's alright, I guess. It's something I'll put on in the background when I write, if I can't find anything else of interest. Beyond that, I can't say I see much appeal to it. But then, I'm also a good 30 years older than I was when the version I know as the original was out.

And that brings me to something I don't quite get about all this. See, as I'm sure many of my regular readers have figured out, I spend a good deal of time cruising the web in my spare time. In my virtual travels, I've noticed that this new incarnation of My Little Ponies seems to have quite the following amongst adult males like myself. Is it just me, or does that seem a bit odd for something aimed almost specifically at gradeschool-aged girls? And perhaps even “creepy” would be a good word for this, maybe?

It makes me realize that this whole curiosity thing that drives me sometimes is a bad thing. I can say that I will almost certainly be watching more to maybe get this thing figured out. Hopefully, it'll just be a touch of delirium brought on by recent weight loss and illness. Only time will tell of course, and chances are good that I'll be telling you about it as I go along.

See you then, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment