Sunday, February 2, 2020

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #013: Dreadnaught


I know I said I was probably going to do a little Final Fantasy IX here last time I posted one of these, but my plans changed again.

In this case, it's mostly because of time management on my part. I'd intended to do a little FF9 before I got to this, but between being busy with work and just screwing around with other stuff, I decided to go with something that I thought would require less of a time commitment but would still give me a chance to work on my feet.

The Dreadnaught is one of a handful of areas in this game that can only be done once because, well, in this case, we're here to blow it up, and we succeed.. That means any items we don't get on our trip through are lost. That's OK, though, because I hadn't intended this to be a 100% run anyway, and there are some things I can get second shots at that I'll be passing on, too. This area is still a hard one, but all the grinding I did between these issues made a big difference. Another thing that I'm sure really helped keep my health and MP high is that there are some areas of the ship I just plain and simply passed on because I could have sworn there was a boss fight before we got to finish this off.

The one thing we've gotta do before we toss the Sufire into the Dreadnaught's engine core is get Cid and Princess Hilda off the ship. On the same floor, we get a handful of potions and some Thief Gloves. They add some defense and give an agility bonus. Gus needed the agility bonus so I put them on him

Further down, closer to where the end of the level is, we come to the same row of four chests with the Trident and the ice shield in it. There was one other thing that might have been interesting there, but I forget what it was right now. I got those three and decided to pass on the shield because it just didn't seem worth burning through the resources to take out the Hill Gigas right now.

The last couple floors before the engine core are pretty straight forward, with no treasure chests on them that I noticed. I had thought there was going to be a boss fight either before or after we threw the sunfire in, but no such luck. Not a bad thing, but just saying.

After we throw the sunfire, the Black Knight shows up and says to not think we've won because of this. Maria recognizes him again, but Firion tells her there's no time to get into it because the ship's about to blow.

There's a cutscene of the party escaping and flying off on Cid's Airship just in the nick of time We get dropped off back at Altair, where it seems the king's health has taken a turn for the worse. This seems like a good place to stop for now, though, because, as always, I'm working on this way later than I should be, so this is where we'll pick up next time. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment