Sunday, May 3, 2015

Final Fantasy Tonight: May 1, 2015

I've been stalling and delaying a lot lately without any real excuse when it comes to my Text Plays, but that's about to change.

Of course, I'm sure this is going to be one of those “Why is that stopping you?” sort of things. See, the city's doing some major, and much needed, really, road work in front of my apartment, and since there's some work on the water mains involved as well, everything's going to be all torn up for a good while. Why is that stopping me, you ask? Well, the streets are all going to be closed for a block in all directions around where I live, and parking's going to be at a premium. Because of that, and the fact that I still have to get in and out to get to my day job and other “real world” activities, I may not be physically present at my apartment for a significant portion of however long it takes for the road work to be finished. As my arrangements at present stand, taking my gaming systems with me is not practical or wise. I will, of course, be looking for ways to minimize the impact this has on those involved, including my readers here.

With the bad news out of the way, it's time to share a piece of good news I've got, also. There's a local website in my area called Falls Food, where folks in my area can enter into a drawing for one of three gift cards from local businesses, and I usually enter when I remember to. Last week, I won one for my area's second-hand media store, Last Stop CD Shop. So now that I've got $25 to spend at a place I like to shop anyway, at least when I've got some spare cash on hand, I think I'll spend at least part of that on something I've been considering off and on for quite a while now: Final Fantasy X. Yeah, I can hear the boos even now. I'm not exactly expecting a great game, in part because of Spoony's review of it and its sequel. Equally telling is that after checking their site as I wrote this, they're only asking $8 for it, which, as I can recall, is somewhere around half what they wanted for most of the other Final Fantasy games I've bought through them. Hell, I think they wanted $12 for the Mystic Quest cart I bought a couple years ago.

The point is, though, that my expectations of this game are low, kind of like they have been for Final Fantasy VIII, and I'm enjoying the last half of that more than I thought I would. Ten would have to be pretty damned bad to disappoint me. With that in mind, I may as well at least give it a chance, anyway, especially since somebody's giving me what amounts to free money to spend however I want.

That reminds me, Mothers' Day is next Sunday, and I've been holding on to a gift cart for the coffee shop my mom quite likes. Maybe I should see if she wants to go there for lunch one day the next couple weeks.

Until then, I suppose I'd better at least try to get one more gaming session in while I know I've got a decent shot at it.

Just to wrap this up, I'd like to give a quick shout-out to a fellow Tumblr user: a lovely artist and cosplayer called Shocktress. Gotta say, she does some interesting work. Glad I happened upon her DeviantArt gallery and started following her elsewere.

No comments:

Post a Comment