Monday, August 10, 2020

Final Fantasy This Moring: August 10, 2020: A Potential “Well, Shit” Moment


Just my luck, I get a little farther in Final Fantasy 9 than I think I ever have, and it starts looking like I might have to wind up abandoning it due to technical difficulties like I did with my Lufia Text Play some years ago.

It's the damnedest thing, too. If this goes as badly as I'm afraid it might, it'll be the second time in all my years of doing this that I'll have to quit on account of tech issues rather than my just losing interest in it or coming to the realization that the game was harder than I thought it was.

See, the night I wrote this, I did a little bit of the Tower of Bab-Il in the Chronicles version of Final Fantasy 4. It wasn't my original intent to do things quite the way I'm going to wind up doing them, but here we are, it seems.

My original plan was to head out from that save point in Daguerreo and work on getting some new abilities for some of the characters in Final Fantasy 9 before moving on with the actual storyline again. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. I'm having the issue I mentioned before where the game will hang up on me for some reason. Last time that happened, cleaning the disk seemed to do the trick, if I remember correctly. I've also got that “disk repair” thing I got ages ago too, and I'll give that a shot if simple cleaning doesn't work out as well as I hope.

As I keep saying, none of my equipment for this stuff is exatly what one might call new any more, so I'm sure age is a factor. The TV I'm playing on is probably the newest thing involved, and at this point, I would not be surprised if even that's pushing ten years old now.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's not the console I'm using to play on. The other games I'm running on it seem to work fine. So, like I said, there are a couple things I'm gonna try before I call the FF9 playthrough, and I'll try to keep you all posted on that front.

Beyond the gaming stuff I've got going on, there are also some other writing projects I'm in the middle of and a couple videos I want to make, too, and I feel like I'm not making any progress on any of it. The good news is that I've had a little extra down time the last couple weeks, and being able to get a little more rest has done some good, anyway. Would have been nice if I could have used some of that time for something that was outwardly productive, but taking care of my own health is important, too, simply because nobody's goning to do that for me.

Even then, I actually feel less well rested now that I've had a little time to relax and take it easy properly. I dunno, maybe that means I'm working too hard or too much or something. Makes me think that I might have too much on my plate, project-wise, and, well, if you know what I look like in real life, you know I'm the kind of guy who knows all too well that it's not a good thing to be in that situation. Worse yet, I'm the kind of person who tends to be too stubborn an thick-headed to give up on things I want to do until well after it's become clear that I should. I'm certainly not the only person I can think of who's like that.

I suppose that means it might be a good thing if I have to wind up ending the FF9 playthrough without finishig the game. I'd really rather not have it come to that, simply because I want to beat at least one of the PS1 era titles in the series, and if I had to say which one I'd prefer it to be, 9 would be it. At the same time, I need to get at least one thing off this particular metaphorical plate right now, and if this is how it has to happen, then so be it, I guess.

At any rate, there are things coming. They're not coming as quickly as I'd like, but they are coming. I'll keep you posted on all this as things develop. In the meantime, I think I'm going to take some advice from Dire Straits and go to bed once I get this set to autopost.

No comments:

Post a Comment