Saturday, December 19, 2020

MiSTing: DigiDefenders Episode 2, Part One

This one's only going to be two parts, due in part to that it kind of breaks weird. This first part's gonna be a good deal shorter than the second one, but if I'd tried to do this the way I would normally, I would have wound up breaking it into too many parts to be practical for anybody. It's already cumbersome enough without adding more work to it, and I'm the sort of guy who really doesn't like making things more difficult than they need to be if I don't have to.


That said, when I reflect on the number of these things I managed to do back in the day, I'm actually impressed. There's eight just in this one series, and that says nothing of however many of these I've done both before and since.


Why? Well, all the page formatting and whatnot was done manually, for the most part, at least on my end. There was a site that did some automatic reformatting for this kind of thing, but I didn't really use it enough to get the hang of it because I didn't discover it until almost the end of my main time doing this sort of thing. The hosting sites also did some of their own formatting, to fit with whatever the accepted style was at the time, which also accounts for some of the screwball line breaks and out of place characters. It also ties into some of the odd typeos here and there. I think I might have screwed some things up as I was doing the formatting work for the “scripts” and wound up doing jokes on that, simply because I was too dumb to notice that I'd messed up on my end. I'm just kinda surprised that I never got called on it along the way, or that I don't remember, if I did.


One other thing I want to mention before I get to the main thing here. I'm going to try a little experiment with this one in that I'm going to try having a specific day and time these things go live. In this case, it's going to be Saturdays at 5 PM, since that's when episodes aired on Sci-Fi back when I was watching on TV. I'm assuming the archived schedules I'm working with mean 5 PM US Eastern time, since that's the standard time zone they use here in the US. Since I'm posting from the US Central time zone, however, that's the 5 PM I'm going with.


That much out of the way, we've got movie sign on part one of Digimon: DigiDefenders, Episode 2: Go Gotsumon!


* * * * * * * * * * * *




Title: Digimon: Digi-Defenders: Episode 2: Go Gotsumon/Rock and Roll
Original Author: Phantom 1
MiSTing Author: Jesse Shearer email: ambasosor_lardo@htomail.com
Era: none/nonstandard
Category: anime

[Scene is still amime style. JESSE at fountain, pouring a huge cup of pop. 
Costume: bandage covering one eye, monacle in other, broken left arm, cane 
in right hand and sprained left ankle]
JESSE:[thinking] Huh. I wonder why Renamon went and beat me up the other 
day? I guess if the Tamers show up again, I'll have to ask.
[RIKA and RENAMON enter]
RIKA: We've come to appologise for the other day.
RENAMON: Yes. I'm very sorry. If there's anything we can do for you...
JESSE: Well, I would appreciate some company for the movie today. It's 
Digimon: Digi-Defenders: Episode 2: Go Gotsumon/Rock and Roll.
RIKA: Sounds good. When were you going to start?
JESSE: Just as soon as I managed to hobble into the theater. But before we 
start, feel free to grab some snacks.
[RIKA and RENAMON each take a few boxes of candy]
RENAMON: Thank you.
JESSE: Oh, hey, just out of curiosity, why did you beat me up, anyway?
RENAMON:[slightly ashamed] I got you confused with Leomon.
JESSE:*Really?* Well, I'll take the compliment, but I can't help but wonder 
what Leomon would say to that.
[LEOMON and JERI enter]
LEOMON: Did I hear someone say my name?
JESSE: Twice, actually. I got a funny story to tell you, but it'll have to 
wait untill later. We're just about to start a movie. You two can join us, 
if you like.
JERI: Oh, let's do! Let's go see it, Leomon!
LEOMON: Well, OK, if you insist...
JERI: Whee!
[All enter theater. JERI gets farthest left seat, followed by LEOMON's big 
sillouhet, then RIKA, JESSE, and RENAMON.]

>Digimon: Digidefenders
>

JESSE: Episode Two!
JERI: We missed the first one? Aw!
JESSE: Don't worry. Takato and Guilmon will probably tell you all about it.

>
>The Hypnos Corporation stood over the Shinjuku District like a looming 
>giant.

JESSE: Hypnos is a *fabric mill?* No wonder it seems like such an odd 
place.

> 
> This >building was the only 
>defense (or so they thought) against the "Wild Ones." They were >suppose 
>to monitor global data usage and confirm illegality movements.

JESSE: Ah, they work for Bill Gates, then.
RIKA: With all the problems Windows causes, they need a place like that.

> 
> But >sometimes, something unusual 
>(unusual even for them) happens.
>
>Riley was one of the control operators.

RENAMON: One of the lackies actually has a name.
JESSE: That *is* unusual for Hypnos.

> She was a 
>red head with a body that would >make even the most statuesque models 
>jealous.

JESSE: Compaired to most *normal* models, however...
LEOMON: You make a good point.
RENAMON: *Men*...
JESSE: For instance, *that* normal model.

> The 
>problem was that she was more >devoted to her work than social life. She 
>had to be, Yamaki wanted 100% devotion to >keeping tabs on the Wild Ones 
>and initiate the Juggernaut Program. Nothing would >keep her from doing 
>her job, but lately she has been questioning the activities.

RIKA: It was tough working withoug bathroom breaks.

> 
> At first, >it was just 
>normal caution, whether they had the right to pry into people's personal 
>life >like this, then she saw the Tamers.

JESSE: After that, it seemed like a great idea.
RIKA: Hey!

> Children with Digimon 
>partners and the power to >make them "Digivolve," or change. She watched 
>as they battled Maildramon,

JESSE: Coincidentally, I've been having less trouble with my email accounts 
since then...
RENAMON: Really?

> 
> Apemon, >and Metal Tyrannomon 
>near the waterfront. When it was over, the one called >"Guilmon" turned 
>into this huge robotic creature called "War Growlmon" and turned the >ties 
>in battle.*
>

LEOMON: Railroad ties.
JERI: Twist ties.
JESSE: Bow ties.
RIKA: Durring battle, guys.

>The Tamers did win, but that wasn't what confused Riley the most. She saw 
>how they >talked to their Digimon as equals, not as pets or weapons or 
>menaces to society like >Yamaki believed. Right then, she wondered if she 
>was doing the right thing staying >with Yamaki and Hypnos.

JESSE: So, she called Dr. Laura.
JERI:[Dr. Laura] Listen to me, Riley. Get out of there! The guy's a jerk!

>
>"Riley?" Riley was shaken from her daydream. It was Chelsea, the other 
>operator.

JESSE: Well, at least *one* of the Clinton ladies is doing well for herself.

> 
> She >was a little 
>naive, but she tried her best, kind of like Riley when she first started 
> >working here.

JESSE:[singing] ...there, and everywhere...
LEOMON:[singing] They're hip to be square...

>
>"Riley, is everything all right?"
>

JERI:[Riley] Oh, yeah. I'm just living the life of Riley here.

>"Yeah. I'm just a little tired."
>
>"You have to start relaxing a little, Riley. You're no good to anyone 
>half-asleep."
>
>"No good," Riley repeated. Then an alarm rang out. Riley lowered her 
>visor.
>
>"It's a Wild One," Chelsea confirmed.

RIKA:[Chelsea] Wait a minute. What's my *dad* doing here?

>
>"Putting tracer on it."
>
>It was then that Yamaki walked up the stairs to the control room. As was 
>his custom, >he was playing with his lighter.

JESSE:[imitates sound of rushing flames]
JERI:[Yamaki] Whaaa! Ouch! Fire! I'm burning...!
RENAMON: Serves him right.

>
>"A Wild One?" He asked without greeting.

LEOMON:[Riley] Nope. The pizza's here.

>
>"Yes, sir. We're tracking it right now."
>
>"Has the Juggernaut system recovered from that last attack?"
>
>"Yes, sir," Riley replied.

JESSE: She's got one messed up idea of what "recovered" is. I thought the 
last attack absolutely destroyed it.

>
>"Good, initiate it." Riley hesitated for a second. The first time they 
>tried this, the Wild >Ones used it against them. How does she or any of 
>the others know they won't do it >again.
>

LEOMON: The same way they did the first time it happened.

>"No good," Riley reported.
>
>"What?! Why couldn't it be any good? I designed it myself! It should be 
>perfect."
>

RENAMON: Right away, it's got one big problem, then.

>"The problem sir isn't in your desing,"

JESSE: The what? *Desing*?
RIKA: That's probably the problem with it.

> Riley said a bit more 
>harshly than she attended. "It's >the range. It's not bio-emerging 
>anywhere in Tokyo."
>
>"Blast! Where is it going to Bio-Emerge?"
>
>"Switching to global positioning satellite," Chelsea announced as a map of 
>the world >came on the screen.
>
>"Looks like its exit point is in Black Falls, South Dakota," Riley said.

JESSE:[scared] Oh no! It wouldn't...! It *can't*...!
RENAMON: Can't what?

> 
> "Sir, I don't think >we would be able to 
>get a team together in time."
>
>Yamaki grumbled and pocketed his lighter. "Keep me informed of its 
>progress."


JESSE:[nervous] I just hope he didn't have lighter fluid spilled down his 
leg...
>
>"Yes, sir."
>
>

JESSE: Let's get outta here.
[All exit theater]

[JESSE is leaning on consession counter, RIKA and RENAMON are on either side 
of him.]
JESSE: Yeah, this whole "Black Falls, South Dakota" thing in today's movie 
has me kinda nervous.
RIKA:Why? Is that where we are?
JESSE: Kinda. We're in *Sioux* Falls, South Dakota. I called in my kid 
brother and his laptop for a demonstration. He's got a map program on there 
that should help.
RENAMON: Good. It'll be interesting to see where we are in the state.
JESSE: Oh, hey, are the others coming, too?
RIKA: No. Jeri said something about getting you some medicine...
JESSE: Ah. Well, that's nice of her.
[A tall, thin young man in a long black leather trenchcoat and a goatee 
comes in.]
JESSE: Hey, Brains. You got that map program all ready to go?
BRAINS: Sure do. [Notices RENAMON and RIKA] Hey, I didn't know you were 
dating someone with a kid.
JESSE: I'm not. This one here [indicates RENAMON] is the one that beat me 
up the other day, and I guess the guilty consience got the better of both of 
`em. Anyway, Brains, have you ever heard of a place called Black Falls?
BRAINS:[hooking laptop to video projector] No. Why?
JESSE:[turns on computer and lets it boot] Well, today's movie makes 
reference to it. We thought we'd just try to figure out where that would 
be. [brings up map and gets "line draw" option ready]
RIKA: OK, so where is Black Falls?
JESSE: I don't think there *is* one in the state of South Dakota. [draws a 
backwards "C" along part of the western border] Ok, those are the Black 
Hills of South Dakota.
RENAMON: So, where did he get the "Falls" part from?
JESSE: Ah, well, that would most proabably be from Sioux Falls, where we are 
now. [cirlces Sioux Falls, in the eastern part of the state, near the 
Minnesota] That's right here.
RIKA: I can see why that would scare you. It looks like the new Digimon 
might take up the whole state.
BRAINS: That's one big monster.
JESSE: I'd say.
BRAINS: Well, I got some studying to do. I'll see you later. [turns to 
leave] Oh, and remember my laptop when you're done with it, OK?
JESSE: Sure.
[RIKA, JESSE, and RENAMON enter theater]

[Poster shot: Similar to the poster for "Digimon: Digi-Defenders: Episode 
1," this one has the "Digimon: Digi-Defenders" across the top and "Episode 
II: Go Gotsumon" at the bottom. Two thirds of the remaining space is part 
of the battle scene at Mt. Rushmore, SD; the rest has the Digi-Defenders and 
their Digimon as a group]

>

JERI: Here, Jesse. This should make you feel better. [passes a small bottle 
down]
JESSE Thanks.

>It had been over a week since Ryan, Mari, Jorge, Eli, Nikolai, Chi, Shinji, 
>and Ashley >were recruited by "The Commander" to become the Digidefenders.

JESSE: Oddly enough, nobody had noticed that they were missing.

> 
> After Ryan and >Seadramon's victory against 
>Frigimon, they agreed to meet again in a week's time.

RIKA: Probably because none of them *were* missing.

> 
> It >was then that 
>the rest would get their cards.

RENAMON: Why couldn't the Commander just let them *go* to the card shop from 
the base?
JESSE: That reminds me...

>
>"What's taking him so long?" Mari asked for the fiftieth time.

LEOMON: Somebody knows what she wants.
JERI: She wants it now, too.
RENAMON: Seem familiar, Rika?

>
>"Calm down," Nikolai said. "Ryan will get here."
>
>"Don't tell me to calm down, you..." It was then that the Digiport glowed 
>and Ryan >datalinked into the room.
>

JESSE:[singing; Paul Simon] He said I have no opinion about this and I have 
no opinion about that...

>"Hi, guys, sorry I'm late."
>
>"What took you?" Mari asked as the others came over to him.
>

RIKA:[Ryan] I had to use AOL to get here.

>"Traffic on the Information Super Highway," Ryan cracked. He reached into 
>his pocket >and took out several packets of Digimon cards. He passed them 
>around.
>

JESSE:[Ryan] Paychecks. Get your paychecks, folks.

>The others torn open their packets and looked through the cards.
>
>"I get Elecmon," Shinji claimed.

JESSE: Then I get Megamon.
RIKA: Very funny.

>
>"I like Lopmon," Chi threw in.
>
>"I'll have Gizamon," Nikolai said holding up his card.

LEOMON: He sure has an Egyptian theme.

>
>"I'll take Penguinmon," Ashley said.
>

JESSE:[Meredeth Burgess] Wha wha wha! Batman'll never get out of this one!

>"Can I have this?"

LEOMON: That depends. What is it?

> Eli held up Hongoumon's card.
>
>Mari looked through her packet. She came across a card that she liked.
>

RENAMON: Everyone else has.

>------------------Digimon--------------------------------------Database-----------------------
>
>Name: Ophanimon

JESSE Orpheumon?
JERI: No, silly. Orphanimon.

>Level: Mega
>Type: Angel Digimon
>Attribute: Vaccine

JESSE: Eh. Mari would choose an evil one.
RIKA: This one's a *good* vaccine.
JESSE: Oh. Whoops.
LEOMON: It gets confusing sometimes.

>Attack: Angel Crystal, Eden's Javelin
>

JESSE: There wouldn't be one called Odinmon, perchance?
RIKA: I think there might be.

>Mari: Ophanimon. A very powerful angel Digimon. She's smart, beautiful, 
>and strong, >just like me. The perfect choice.

JESSE: Um, OK. I guess I can agree to that.

>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>"I choose Ophanimon," Mari said slicing the card through her D-4. Nothing 
>happened.
>
>"The D-4 can only work for rookie-level cards," The Commander explained. 
> >"Something about the power level."

JESSE: Oh, swell. If you use a rookie level card in one of those things, 
the Digimon isn't strong enough to stay out, but you can't make a stronger 
one because the Digivice can't handle it.

>
>"Shoot. So, what's Ophanimon's rookie form?" Everybody shrugged.
>
>"Here's a card I think you might like," Ashley voiced. She slipped a 
>Floramon card into >Mari's hand.
>

LEOMON: Well, I guess plants do kinda help cheer people up.

>"Floramon? Why would I want a frilly card like this?"
>

JESSE:[Floramon] I'm *not* filly! I'm *beautiful*!

>"There's always Demidevimon," Nikolai smirked showing her the card in his 
>pack.
>

JESSE: Hey, Leomon! You know why these Season 3 folks like trotting out the 
star power from the first two seasons?
LEOMON: You did it and you're asking me?
JESSE: Well, Saban did it first!

>"Gross! I'll stick with Floramon."
>
>Jorge looked at the card he chose. Gotsumon.

RIKA:[Jorge] What am I thinking?

> He was 
>small but strong, kind of like >himself.
>
>Suddenly an alarm rang out. One of the technicians at the control panel 
>turned to The >Commander and said, "Ma'am, crossover detected."

RIKA:[Commander] What's involved?
JESSE:[Technician] Star Trek and Babylon Five, Ma'am. Detonation in ten 
seconds!
LEOMON: Duck and cover!

>
>"Where?"
>
>"Black Falls, South Dakota... right near Mount Rushmore."

JESSE: Oh, either Keystone or Hill City! I used to work there.
RENAMON: So that's where Black Falls is.
JESSE: Yeah. In the Hills, I guess.

>
>The Commander turned to Ryan. "Ryan, why don't you and Jorge go take care 
>of this >one."
>
>"I don't know," Jorge said a little doubtful.

JESSE:[Jorge] Probably because you're sending us to a general area?

>
>"You'll be all right, kid. Stick with me," Ryan said.
>
>"Okay." Jorge turned towards the Digiport and pointed his D-4 at it.
>
>"Digiport open, datalink to Black Falls, South Dakota!" Ryan and Jorge 
>were sucked >into the screen.
>

JESSE:[shouting at characters] Hey guys! How about going to *KEYSTONE*?!? 
You might have more luck that way!
LEOMON:[to RENAMON] We'd better get him out of here before he makes his 
injuries worse.
RENAMON: Yeah.
[LEOMON picks JESSE up by the collar and carries him out. The others leave 
with them. JESSE objects loudly]
JESSE: Hey! Put me down! You're wrecking the fabric...

[Poster shot: "J. Michael Shearer's Theater 3000 shows `Rugrats: The 
Movie'". Background is 1950s stylized wallpaper. Most is taken up by the 
Nick designed logo with the addition of Jesse chasing TV News Reporter Rex 
Pester with a cap gun that has about a yard and a half of spent caps 
trailing out of it. At the bottom it says "Avaliable only on Ungvichian 
Home Video at http://members.tripod.com/rover_wow/"

[Lobby. LEOMON sets JESSE on the counter and the others gather around.]
LEOMON: You're getting really stressed out in there, aren't you?
JESSE: I guess I am. I just get sorta nuts sometimes, but that runs in my 
family.
JERI: Which parent's side?
JESSE: Both, really. One side has mass paranoia and the other is full of 
people who are just not right in the head most of the time.
RIKA: It could be because your injuries are bothering you. You should take 
that medicine Jeri got you.
JERI: Yeah. It'll make you feel better.
JESSE: You're right. I've just never been much for taking that sorta stuff, 
but I guess I need it, now. [checks pockets] What did I do with it? I just 
had it...
RENAMON: Well, you had it in the theater. I saw you with it.
RIKA: You didn't give it back to Jeri, did you?
JESSE: No, no. I thought I put it in my pocket along with my billfold.
RENAMON: It looks like you didn't quite get it.
JESSE: I guess ice will have to do for now. [gets two paper cups off a stack 
and puts them on the soda fountain] I keep some plastic bags and a little 
plasticwrap under the counter over there. Could somebody grab some please? 
[fills one cup with ice and the other partly with ice and the rest with pop]
JERI: Here you go. [holds a bag open while JESSE fills it with ice]
JESSE: Thanks. [sticks cups between arm cast and chest] Would you mind 
tieing that to my ankle?
JERI: Sure. [ties bag to JESSE's ankle with plasticwrap] There you go.
JESSE: Thanks again. Feel free to load up on goodies, everybody. I didn't 
get that membership to the warehouse club for nothing.
[all return to theater]


* * * * * * * * * * * *


One other interesting thing about my writing style, in general, and especially with fiction, is that I at least used to try to put little details from my own everyday life into the story. I think I might have already mentioned that these are set in my home town, where there's a mall kind of like the one here, and there was even a theater kind of like this there when I was a kid. Perhaps quite by coincidence, I also happened to actually work at Mt. Rushmore, where the big battle in the story takes place, for a couple summers when I was in college. Even more interesting, it was a temp job, and I mostly worked as a custodian, kind of like what Joel and Mike were doing when Dr. F shor them into space.


Part two of this comes out next Saturday at 5 PM US Central, and I'm hoping to have other stuff up between now and then as well. Untill then, stay tuned, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment