Monday, September 23, 2024

Picture Post: Old Tackle Boxes, Part 5: Trout Fishing Stuff

Once again, it's been awhile since I've done one of these, but I've had a lot going on since the first of the year.


This time around, I'm taking a look at the trout fishing stuff my dad always took along on trips out to the Black Hills over the years. I've covered several of the ones I've been along for over the years, but I don't think we ever did much trout fishing. We'll get into part of the reason why as we go along.


First off, here's the bag the stuff was in:



This is actually a replacement, one my dad got after he had his hip replaced just after he retired. I think he did more of that kind of fishing when he was out that way deer hunting while he was still doing that sort of thing, which was only a few more years after he'd healed up from the hip surgery. I'd like to say I remember what the original thing this all was stored in was, but I don't, really. I remember an orange duffle bag sort of thing, but I'm pretty sure that was something else that I don't think I've got access to any more.


A big part of the reason why we didn't use this specific stuff so much, especially lately, is that we only had the one collapsible pole like this, plus one spare reel:





I more remember this box with “trout fishing stuff” written on it:



The little jar of red stuff is salmon eggs, which were used as bait. I didn't think to get a shot of the front label, assuming there was one, but I did get one of the lid:



I might have tried to get a shot of the front, but given how long it takes me to get these things done even when I'm just going ahead with them, I really don't need to give myself additional excuses for delay. Gotta love that “Balls O' Fire” branding, though. I'm pretty sure it was loose in the bag with the rest of the stuff, though, because the box itself was fairly well full with everything else:



Some of that's not what it looks like, which is why it's a good thing I unpacked it all to get shots of it either individually or grouped by use, as best as I could tell. We'll start with the Power Bait, which was in the upper left corner of the box:




It's kind of a dough sort of thing that I hear kind of works on trout sometimes, too. Judging by the note on the lid there, it looks like my dad got it when my folks went to visit some friends of theirs in Arizona about ten years back.


There was also quite a lot of other general accessory and lure type things in the box as well, including this leadhead jig and a box of small daredevils:




And there's the ziplock bag of assorted lures and stuff:



It looks like there's a bobber and a stringer and a couple lures in there, at least. This was getting towards the end of my photography session when I was doing all this, so I didn't really feel like taking it all out of the bag and putting it back in when I was done. Certainly a little lazy of me, to be sure, but I'm afraid it happens.


To wrap up, here's the rest of the contents of the box:



A handful of bobbers, including the clear one that might have looked like something else in the box, some alcohol wipes for minor wounds, another small container of lures, and some needle-nose pliers for removing hooks from fish if needed.


I'm not sure how much of this stuff has been used recently because the last time we were out in the Hills, my dad wasn't well. Just before he passed, actually, so we really didn't do much fishing. The year before, we'd gone to one of the lakes out that way, and my dad even caught some decent trout that time, but I think we were using different equipment at the time.


I haven't used it much myself otherwise, in part because I just haven't had much in the way of time for it in a good while. We also don't have much for trout-specific lakes in the eastern part of the state, where I actually live either, far as I know. I'm not sure how much use any of this stuff will get going forward, but we'll see.


But that's all I've got on this for now, so I'm just going to wrap up. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment