Tuesday, June 25, 2013

COUPON ENCOUNTERS: Silk Dairy-Free Fruity & Creamy Cultured Soymilk (Blueberry)

This is an idea I've had in my head for awhile now and haven't done anything with in spite of good intentions.

A couple years ago, I was going to try doing a series of food reviews called Friday Night Special. It really didn't go anywhere, for several reasons. Those reasons include, but are not limited to, an at least somewhat serious attempt at losing weight and a lack of anything interesting to write about. Now, in the interim, I'd come into possession of an iPhone, which, naturally, gave me access to several neat little programs better known as apps. One that I tend to make a little too liberal use of is a barcode and QR scanner. Along the way, I found I could use it to email myself coupons to print off the Internet. Shortly thereafter, the idea hit me that I could still do my food reviews based on those coupons.

I've been meaning to get to this part for awhile now, but have been lazy about it, and it's about time to remedy that. And oddly enough, I'm starting off with something I got with a point-of-sale coupon I picked up at the grocery store a couple weeks ago.

This one was for sixty-five cents off two single-serving containers of Silk Dairy-Free Fruity & Creamy Cultured Soymilk, so I figured I'd give it a shot if there was any in stock. Fortunately, it was, so when I went for groceries, as I do every Monday evening, I picked up one blueberry flavor and one peach-mango flavor.

This first report or issue or whatever will be about the blueberry one, simply because I'm still trying to take at least a little weight off and I need to watch what I eat.

So, basically, what this stuff is, is yogurt made with soy milk instead of cow milk. They certainly got the consistency of regular yogurt down pretty well. It wasn't too thick or too thin, it was nice and creamy, very smooth.

Flavorwise, it wasn't bad, either. Blueberries aren't exactly my favorite fruit ever, but then again, I'm not what you'd call a berry fan in general. Strawberries and raspberries are about the only ones I can really claim to like, but I pretty much grew up on those. Blueberries are alright, too, but I don't often go out of my way to eat them. In this case, worth it.

This just confirms what I've known about Silk brand products for awhile now. They make good stuff, and this is no exception. I liked the blueberry variety, and may very well do the peach-mango one later on in the week.

So, to sum up, if you've got issues with dairy and want a decent yogurt-like thing, Silk Fruity & Creamy is a good way to go. At least in the blueberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment