Monday, January 12, 2015

Final Fantasy Tonight: January 11, 2015

Well, let's see where this goes, shall we?

As is something of a bad habit with me, I seem to be falling behind in my Text Play projects, amongst other things. Sometimes, having a written plan helps me keep on track, but this seems more like an instance where doing regular updates might be a better idea.

I suppose the best place to start would be where I am and what I've been up to with what I've been playing. In Final Fantasy 6, I'm pretty much where I left off after beating the Brachiosaur a couple weeks ago. Haven't played much since then, and I'm not sure why. Just haven't been in the mood to spend my time that way lately, I guess. Kind of unfortunate, really, considering how much I keep saying I like the game.

In Final Fantasy 8, I'm also where I left off after the last issue of that last Monday. I've actually had that booted up on my PS2 since then, figuring I'd just move on with the plot since I'm not quite in a good place for doing the only side quests I know I've got available, but I think I got a little lost. Fortunately, I didn't save the mistake, so I think I've got a chance to fix it later.

Really, just going forward with the plot is the plan for both games I'm doing Text Plays for right now. In the case of FF6, it's because I've just been using the other stuff as an excuse to not get on with the game. I think I may have kind of screwed myself on getting all eight dragons because I didn't get the one in the Phoenix Cave when I was after the magicite there, and trying to intentionally go after Doom Gaze just isn't working out, so I may as well just stop wasting time and get on with the rest of the game, since I don't think I get anything I really need to finish it from the side quests I was trying.

As for Final Fantasy 8, well, I'm just not very familiar with the game past where I left off after the Shumi Village side quest. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two if I keep going with the main plot, and maybe find that it's not as bad a game or story as I've been giving it credit for. I'd have gone for the Odin and Tonnberry King summons right now, but part of getting lost involved not finding the place I needed to be for that. The other part of getting lost was that I wound up almost doing something in the wrong order. That could have been bad because I don't know anything about how the game's actually supposed to go from this point on, and I'd like to get it right this first time and save the screwing around for whatever future playthroughs there might be.

A big factor in the delay here is that a year, year and a half ago, I bought the Final Fantasy Chronicles set, which is Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 bundled as a two-disk combo for the PS1, and I've been playing through that version of FF4. This'll be the umpteenth time I've replayed the game, just like the time I did the Text Play of it. It is, after all, still my favorite game. The Chronicles version is a different translation of the game, and it seems to have been based more on one of the Japanese versions of the game. Maybe once I get some of my other projects cleared, I'll do a bit of a side-by-side comparison of the two versions of the game that I own. It's interesting to see how things were translated in this version, and what all the different items that weren't in the version I grew up with do.

So anyway, that's kind of where I am right now. Hopefully, things will start moving in the right direction again soon. I don't know for sure if this will be a truly nightly thing, but I do hope to do it at least two or three times a week, anyway, just to keep myself on track.

With that in mind, have a good day and/or night, and I'll see you again soon. Until then, DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment