Friday, January 20, 2017

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #019: Josef and the Giant Rock

Well, I got this right pretty much in one go before I really even knew the original version of Final Fantasy II was for the NES rather than the version of Final Fantasy IV we got on the SNES, so I may as well get on with this.

But that's been a good fifteen years, anyway, and I've got access to Let's Plays and the like to aid my memory. Thing of it is, given the way I tend to operate, if I'd have let my good intentions get the better of me, I'd have let this go for a week and a half before getting to it, and it would have been mostly for procrastination rather than for want of time to actually do this. I'm a little short on the latter, too, but not so much that it would be a valid excuse for terribly long, so I may as well just get on with this.

So, anyway, the basic story here, as I remember it, is that Josef joined the party in Final Fantasy II to help them get something called the Goddess Bell, a key item they needed to get into a place called Kas'ion Castle to retrieve a pair of other key items, Egil's Torch and the Sunfire. While the party does get what they need, Josef ultimately sacrifices himself to give the others a chance to escape from a trap set by the enemy. Granted, it's a little more complex than that, but I'd rather not type all that up, and I'm sure it would be a little long to read as well.

The version we have to piece together here is a little more fleshed out than what I put here, but not by terribly much. Putting it all together really isn't as difficult as I'd remembered, as the first three parts, about how Josef joined the party to help them beat the adamantoise and retrieve the Goddess Bell before getting killed by the trap are in a fairly obvious order. The difficulty is in picking the ending. There's one that says the party's only human because they couldn't face the shame of telling his daughter about how he'd died for them and another about how Josef was a true hero for having given his life to help save the world. I usually go for the “hero” ending, mostly because I can never remember if it has much bearing on the outcome of the rest of the game.

The game pretty much has Ramuh tell Vivi and Zidane that Dagger would have gotten her ability to summon back either way because it was what she truly wanted and that the ending of his little story really change that much. He also asks that they help him protect her going forward. With that, it's time to move on and get to Lindblum.

There's a cutscene here where the party sees the Red Rose headed straight for Lindblum and start blasting the crap out of it with cannons while beaming Black Mages into the castle. Zidane tells Dagger that if this is like Cleyra, the queen's about to use summon magic on the place to royally fuck it up. Unfortunately, he's right, and the place is a complete mess when they get there. Dagger and Zidane ask Vivi to stay behind while they go check the damage. At first, he wants to go with them, but it doesn't take much to persuade him that it's too dangerous this time. There's also some Alexadrian soldiers running around. The one I mistakenly talked to asked if we were going to fight them or not and said that resistance would only lead to death. Kind of the standard we are the Borg sort of thing.


But since I was kind of rushing this as a result of doing this my usual way, I decided to save both before and after the cutscene so I could go back and have a better look at it. So, that's where we'll start off next time. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment