Monday, October 24, 2016

K-Mart Closing?

Not really sure what to make of it.

I guess this has been going on for awhile now. A good ten years, anyway, because I know there used to be a total of three K-Marts in my town, that I can remember. There was one on the west side of town, one on the east side, and one more or less in the middle, which, as it turns out, would have been just south of where my apartment is now.

Thing of it is, though, that one that would have been just south of me closed about the time I was moving in here and the land got bought up by the main grocery store chain in my area, which in turn sold its location just to the north of me and built a whole new building with an associated gas station on the site instead. The grocery store's old location is now an in-home medical supply place run by one of the local hospital networks.

I hadn't really thought about it all that much at the time because there are other places I'd rather shop anyway, though I did tend to have the best luck finding clothes that actually fit me well enough to make me look halfway presentable at K-Mart. I'm sure that says something about me, and I'm not sure I like it.

But anyway, it turns out the one on the east side of town is closing now, too, which is interesting and a little worrying, really. It's kind of scary to think that one of those brands that's been kind of an American experience for a few generations is on its way out now. I know I'm kind of responsible for it in my own way, because I've always been the sort who would rather go to places like Lewis, which is a local equivalent, or Shopko, which I'm sure a few more people might have heard of. Part of the reason I'd go to K-Mart for the clothes and stuff is because I knew I could find stuff there at a reasonable price and it wasn't Walmart. With there being only one K-Mart left in my town, and it being a little out of my way now, I may have to break down and go to “Wally World”, as my dad is prone to calling it.

I suppose a bright side to this is that we may wind up getting an episode of Abandoned out of this at some point, as I'm sure more than a few locations will just be left to sit empty. Still, I'm not sure what to think of all this.


Who knows, though, I may revisit this topic later. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment