Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Dream Log: Famous for Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Fiction


I don't know how often I'll do these “dream log” things, but there have been several times over my writing career where someone has told me there might be some value in them, so since I think I've got a compelling one for once, I'll give it a shot and see where it goes.

This particular dream happened the morning of August 7, 2018, and was about my somehow being famous for a Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction storyline I'd written in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The setting was a discussion of some sort with at least one other fan author from back then who was telling me that I was more popular than I realized. My response was that I could take a compliment, but at the time, I was just a college kid, mostly, wasting time on that when I should have been working on homework and other school-related projects.

From there, there was a thorough, if not lenghty, going over of what I'd written, which was the story of a human space traveller from Earth who'd gotten stranded on Sonic's planet in the timeline of the 1993 Saturday morning show and wound up an ambassador there after helping the heroes take the planet back while building his spaceship to go back home on. For this segment, it seemed like there was more than just the two of us at the beginning, and that it was part of a program of some sort. I don't recall if there was some reason why we were using my work specifically for the example or if that part of it were just a product of it being a dream in my own head. That's mostly because there were actually quite a few authors back then who were at least as good, if not better, than I was.

The final question before I woke up was if I might be willing to revisit the character and/or storyline somehow, since it was still somewhat memorable to my co-panelests 20-some years on. Within the context of the dream, it seemed like it was to be something for the IDW reboot of the comic that draws heavy inspiration from the previously mentioned cartoon series and the Archie comic series that worked off it until it ended a couple years back.

In a more real sense, I have been considering redoing that particular storyline for awhile now. I have a few ideas for things I'd do differently, if I were to do such a thing. After all, I've grown and changed at least a little bit since then, and am a different guy now that I'm in my 40s rather than in my late teens and early 20s.

Either way, I'm not sure I should or would, or will do it. As cool as it would be to see if I could make something of that again, to know that I've still got that “it” I used to have, I'm also hesitant because, as I said, I'm in my 40s now and really should move onto a “new and different” stage of all this. At the same time, I kind of have done that, by way of this blog, and am not really sure I've gotten anywhere in particular with it in spite of whatever intentions I've had and the efforts I've made.

Regardless, I guess it's something to think about and consider, though I'm not sure what may come of it.

Either way, see you soon with more non-video-game stuff, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment