Thursday, August 23, 2018

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #003: The Mythrilin' Man


It's been awhile since I've done any writing, but I'm hoping doing something I enjoy will help get me back into the swing of this.

I'd actually done a couple sessions of just screwing around, trying to get my stats up with minimal success at best, so after a little more of that this time around, I decided to go for Semmit Cave and the Mythril on the bottom level. We'll be coming back here in a while with that Josef guy who was supposed to be keeping Hilda informed about the Mythril, but for now, we'll have to deal with the main mission.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that I'm playing this on Easy Mode, like I did with the original when I did the Text Play of that along with Legend of Mana a few years back. With that in mind, this entry in the series especially is one that has its moments of going from really easy to really hard. In this case, this was one of those times when Semmit Cave was a good deal easier than I remember it being. The better news is that along the way, everybody got some decent stat boosts, especially the main party members.

Along the way through the cave, we run into that Pavel guy, from Altair, who says he went in looking to get some Mythril for himself but got caught in the process. I must wonder if Hilda sent him in to investigate as well and he was just saying different. At any rate, he tells us to go after the head guy a couple floors down while he gets the others out.

It's been forever since I've played the first game in the series, so I can't remember exactly what they did with slime monsters there, but this is where we see the first of what eventually became a rather broad array of such monsters, largely immune to physical attacks but usually very weak to magic. In this case, these ones are green, and weak to fire and ice, though mele weapons can do some damage as well.

At the very bottom, there's a path with a boss monster blocking the way to a treasure chest with the Mythril in it. I guess all the screwing around trying to get my stats up was worth something after all, because this boss, the Seargent, wasn't as hard as I recalled. Having Maria's fire spell at level 2 was a big help, as was having Firion's cure spell there. Of course, it's also nice that Mindu's stats are way above everybody else's at this point in the game, and he's got the Life spell as well. Only had to use it once, on Gus, but after getting him revived and everybody's health refilled, it didn't take long to knock the Seargent on his ass. As will be a common thing for this game, we'll be seeing Seargents as regular enemies from here on out.

Once that's all taken care of and we have our magic metal, it's back to Altair, where Hilda first tells us that because the Empire actually took a fair amount of casualties taking over Fynn, they're working on a new superweapon called the Dreadnaught. It's a heavily armed and armored airship that will almost certainly bring victory to the Empire if it isn't stopped somehow. It's being built in a place called Bafsk. Eventually, that's going to be our job, but first, we've gotta deal with the Mythril.

Once we show the Mythril to Hilda, she tells us to take it to a guy called Tobol, who's hanging out in the weapons shop. He'll get all excited about it and make weapons and armor that will have a special guy selling them in the next few weapons and armor shops along the way, until we get to a point in the game where they'll either sell better stuff naturally or we'll be finding it along the way.

For now, though, this is where I'm leaving off. If I'm not mistaken, now that Tobol has his Mythril boner, Hilda will tell us that it's our job to go to Bafsk and stop the Dreadnought before it even takes off, if possible. We'll find that out next time, though.

Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment