Saturday, December 1, 2018

Shopping Haul: ShopKo, November 30, 2018


This was kind of a spur of the moment thing, but it might be interesting all the same.

I had an errand or two to run after work tonight, so I stopped at the place I usually do on my way home, a place called ShopKo:


I was kind of focused on the one thing I needed to get there, so I only took one picture in the store, of something I thought was interesting:


I haven't seen those 4-pound canisers of peanut butter around that I can remember since I was a kid. No need to buy it, of course. It would be an unwise thing, so I passed on it. I did, however, pick up some other things alongside the personal item I was after. I believe they were all low-tier brands, if not all ShopKo exclusives. Some were pretty good:


There were a few other flavors, but the strawberry lemonade was nice enough. Not one for the JM Tries series, but still good.


I haven't tried these knock-off Pop Tarts. Maybe for breakfast sometime soon. If they're like the other brands of such things, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

They also had a line of store-brand nuts. I got the whole cashews because they're amongst my favorites:


They also had peanuts, but I'm not as much a fan of peanuts as one might think.

The reason I thought to do this is because, as I'm sure I've noted before, I've become something of a fan of “urban exploration” videos on YouTube, and the channels I watch have covered many brands in various states of operations, but I've never seen ShopKo covered, that I can recall. I got to wondering how wide-spread a company Shopko was. Looking it up on Wikipedia suggests that the brand is that it's mostly in what one might call “middle America”, with most stores in the upper midwest and west, with some in the southeast and northwest.

I know this isn't exactly the best documentary work out there, but aside from Wikipedia, I don't recall having seen much else out there. I'm hoping, as always, that this might lead to more on the matter, both from me and others who can do a better job of it than myself.

1 comment: