Sunday, August 27, 2023

Text Play: EarthBound Beginnings [Mother (Famicom, 1989)/Switch (2022?)] : Issue #002: Still Getting Started

It's been awhile, and I kind of forgot a few things between sessions.


When I finally got back to this, the idea I was trying for was to find my way from the little chapel/church/house of healing sort of place I'd found my way to at the end of the last session back to the hero's house so I could stock up on healing items and maybe rest a bit. After stumbling around a bit and getting killed a few times, I decided to check VGMaps to see if I could find something helpful. In this case, there was something to find, but it wasn't particularly useful because the maps they've got look to be for a different version of the game from what I'm playing. I was tempted to pull a joke from 8-Bit Theater, but there's a reason why I thought to go to the Maps site in the first place, and probably will go back again for similar things.


Since the map I was looking for wasn't much help, I spent a bit more time stumbling around until I finally got to a point where I could actually get at my money supply in the town I was near and used a good chunk of what I had to get a room at the inn and some healing items. From there, I finally managed to do what I set out to do initially without nearly as much trouble as I'd had before I made it to the inn.


In the stumbling around I did before I got to the inn, though, I found my way to that cemetery to the south of the town. There's a church there, too, and the kid we need to rescue is there. I didn't get into that because I'd gotten my ass beaten enough to realize that I'll need to do at least a little grinding before I get into doing whatever it is I need to do to save the kid. Hopefully, I'll get to that before too terribly long.


For now, though, I'm just going to leave off where I saved at the hero's house because it's the usual degree of lateness when I'm writing this, so it'll be off to bed once I get this set to post.


Before I do, though, I'm going to point out that I've seen several of the mechanics in this game used in other games, and it's not just the Dragon Quest aesthetic I was mentioning last time. Some of the other games that come to mind are considerably more recent. For example, in order to get the money we win in battles, we need to get our dad on the horn so that he'll put the money on our cash card, and from there, draw it off so we can spend the cash. It's a little complex, and kind of reminds me of needing to wait for Squall's salary to come in in Final Fantasy 8 to buy things.


I've also seen the “use communication device to save” thing in a few games that some streamers I watch have played. I'm pretty sure it got carried forward to the sequel that got ported to the US as Earthbound, as well.


But yeah, I'm just going to wrap this up here and try to come back to it at a more reasonable time. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment