Monday, September 4, 2023

Text Play: EarthBound Beginnings [Mother (Famicom, 1989)/Switch (2022?)] : Issue #003: Two Levels

The more time I spend on this game, the more it reminds me of the first Dragon Quest game.


I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reason for that. Maybe one of these days when I'm not working on these things way later than I should be, I'll find out what that is.


What got me to thinking about that this time is that I spent my whole session this time grinding for experience and money. It seems like a necessity here. Based on my memories of playing the original DQ game, that's also a necessity, to the point that it takes up a minimum of 75% of the play time in the game.


The good news is that here in Earthbound Beginnings, I've got my character up to level five and have two new spells, or what count as spells here. Now that I am, I think I may finally be at a point where I can start exploring the graveyard south of the town of Podunk properly. From what I've managed the last couple times, it looks like it's going to be a bigger task than I had anticipated. This looks to be a bigger area than I remember for an 8-bit game, but this did also come out in 1989, which means the tech was at a point where things like that could start happening.


In general notes, I'm at a point where some other things are maybe going to start happening again, too. I've got a couple other things to get written and posted here. I just need to get the hand-written draft for the one actually set out where I can see it and get it typed up for posting.


I'm also still trying to get on with finishing Final Fantasy 9. It's been slow going for quite some time now,but I've got a save file all set up for being dumb enough to get on with it. I just need to adjust my party a bit. I've already made one attempt and got my ass handed to me in the first phase of the boss rush.


At any rate, I've got a whole pile of stuff coming, but it's going to be a minute before I get to it. First things first, though, I need to take a shower and get some sleep, so I'm going to get this post set up and get on with that. Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment