Thursday, January 2, 2014

TEXT PLAY: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Taito, SNES 1993): Issue #39: Well...

So maybe this wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be.

Having a good grip on my way through this one was a big help, and so was the fact that I think I've got all the treasure that I could on my first time through this thing. Which means that all that's left now is the boss of Glasdar Tower.

Said boss is some weird looking dude named Nazenby. I can't help but wonder if his full name is George Nazenby. Or would that be somebody else entirely? Either way, it turns out that the trick to beating this guy is one I don't think I'd thought of or read about last time I'd made it this far. Jerin's got this spell called Mirror, that's kind of like Wall or Reflect in Final Fantasy games, in that it makes enemy magic bounce back onto the caster, hurting them instead. Just have Jerin keep using that on the party while everybody else attacks with weapons or magic as it applies.

Just before he dies, Nazenby casts one last spell or something that knocks the hero, Aguro and Jerin on their asses and makes Lufia start to think she really is one of the bad guys. Daos, one of the Sinistrals, starts talking to her via telepathy, telling her that yeah, she really is one of them, and she should hork the Dual Blade from the hero while he's out cold. Lufia resists like a fiend, but eventually gives in, takes the hero's weapon and gets beamed up to Doom Island, where at least one of the “real” villains suggests that they just kill the other heroes now and take the world.

Of course, we all know how this has to end. Daos says no to that idea because there's going to be time for that later on, and since he's in charge of this bunch, I guess, the island goes flying off to the southeast, I believe it was.

So, anyway, once all that's taken care of, the party, now sans Lufia, comes to just in time to see Doom Island go flying off and decide to follow. They kind of have to, of course, that's what heroes do in these things, after all.

But since Lufia stole the Dual Blade, which I had equipped to the hero, I had to re-equip an older weapon on him. Fortunately, I just happened to have one on hand for that. For now, it's back to Arubus, to save the game and see if I can get a better weapon for the hero for the final leg of this game.

If memory serves, there is one, but I can't remember if I can buy it or if it's a random drop. If I can buy it, I will, but if it's drop-only, I may be in a bit of trouble. But we'll find some of that out next time, in issue #40: Geronimo!

No comments:

Post a Comment