Friday, January 19, 2018

Picture Post: Cows Of Lake Pactola

This one could have been a little better than it will be, but I wasn't really thinking about this when I had the chance.

The good news, though, is that it does give me a chance to talk a little history here anyway.

See, these pictures were taken at a place called Lake Pactola, or at least one end of it. It's an interesting place with kind of an unfortunate history, if I understand things correctly.

While the dam that the lake is named after had been there for awhile prior to a major thunderstorm that came through in the early 1970s, it got some major upgrades as a result. This is because the storm in question was one of those “all the rain” and “all the flooding” sort of things.

Given how slowly the storm moved through the area relative to its strenght, it wound up dumping 15 inches of rain over a large portion of the area, which wound up costing more than 200 people their lives and damaged or wrecked more than 2000 buildings just in Rapid City. Such damage was a fairly common thing in several counties in the area as well.

As a means of preventing such a tragedy from happening again, there was some major expansion to the Pactola Dam, built in 1952 to control the flow of Rapid Creek. In retrospect, I should have taken a few pictures when I was at the dam. It's actually quite the sight, best viewed in person.

There's this place where people can pull off the road and look down at the lake from the top of the dam. Part of the reason I didn't get any pictures, or at least any I thought were worth keeping, is because it's several hundred feet from the top of the dam to the surface of the lake, which is somewhere in the area of a hundred feet deep itself at the face of the dam, as I understand it, and I've got this fear of heights that I've had for most of my life. As a result, I was kind of worried about dropping my phone over the edge while I was taking pictures, which would not have been good. On the bright side, it's a good reason to get people into the area to see it, if they're interested.

As someone who worked in the area for a couple summers and has been a visitor to the area quite a few times over the course of my 40 years or so, I should say there's more to do there than just look, of course, especially if you're there in the summer. I've just never done much at Pactola itself, mostly because I'm not often there during peak season, and when I was there, there were other places I preferred going because they were much less busy and didn't involve views that triggered my fear of heights to quite the same extent.

With all that in mind, this wouldn't be what I'm saying it is if there weren't pictures to share. I did get pictures from the upstream end of the lake, where things weren't quite so steep and there was considerably less water involved. There were also considerably more cows than fish in that part of the lake as a result:


The one looking at the camera was probably wondering if I was a threat, or what I was doing. Like I said in my Wasta post, it had been a dry year in general out west, and longer than that in the Hills. There might have been water where there was bare ground recently, but I've seen it where there was grass growing, too. But even that was kind of low, which is why my bovine subject went trekking on a moment later:


All in all, Pactola Lake is an interesting place to visit, and there's some cool stuff to do there if you're there the right time of year. Worth checking out, and maybe seeing some history at the same time.


I've got one more set of pictures to work with here, and hopefully it'll be a better post than this one. But that will come later. There are a few things I want to get up here first. Until then, happy viewing and happy travels, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment