Friday, December 1, 2017

Photo Blog: Wasta Rest Area Pond

Well, “pond” is kind of a polite way of putting it, really.

These pictures were taken on a trip I took with my family at the beginning of October. I'd meant to get this up well before now, but because things never quite go according to plan, my good intentions never quite happened.

So, anyway, the thing about travelling the Interstate Highway system here in the US is that there are rest stops along the way where one can stop the car in order to stretch one's legs or use restrooms with flush toilets, should one need to do so. Since there is running water involved, there's also sewage that needs to be dealt with somehow. That's what this fenced-in area is for:


Keeping out might be a good idea, considering the nature of what's actually in the pond behind the sign. Of course, it was kind of a dry year, so the pond was a bit down. I'm saying that it was a dry year because I'm not sure if travel through western South Dakota was enough to explain it being this far down:



Things have probably cooled down a little bit since these pics are a couple months old now. But this is a fairly common thing for rest areas, at least the ones here in my home state that I've been to. This is just the only one I know of that was actually close enough to walk to easily while I was there. Might be worth a closer look in person if you're in the area. We could use the tourists, and there's the Minuteman Missile Silo Historic Site a few miles to the east of there, if that's your sort of thing. I thought it was interesting when I was there. Check it out if you come on through.

No comments:

Post a Comment