Saturday, July 7, 2018

Barely Remembered: Monchichis

Originally posted November, 2016.

I do believe this was a weekday morning program when I was watching it, as I mentioned in the initial post for these three little articles. I remember it being on USA Network in the very early days of their Cartoon Express block. As I recall, it aired alongside the likes of the Pac-Man cartoon, which I may have to get to at some point as well, and quite a few things from the late 60s and 70s like Speed Buggy and some Sid and Marty Krofft stuff. Thing is, I was more a Bozo Show kid when I was in grade school, so it's really quite the thing that I remember as much about the Monchicis as I do.

The specifics I do remember are that the Monchichis were little monkey-like creatures that lived in a forest sort of place, and that there was a good faction and a bad one. I can only recall two character names, as well. There was Thumbkie, a little baby one who was always sucking his thumb and was under the care of the good guys. The other one that comes to mind is Yabbut, one of the not-so-nice ones who was skeptical about everything, questioning things with “Yeah, but...”.

As far as plots actually go, I can't say too much, simply because I really don't remember. It seems to me that they were mostly the sort of life-lesson things shows like this tend to do, being aimed at gradeschool aged kids, but that's just a guess after a good thirty or 35 years of having this particular show gathering dust in the back of my mind.

Other than that, there isn't too terribly much that I do remember. I'm pretty sure this was a Hanna-Barbera production, as were so many of the other shows in this block. That's at least how I remember Pac-Man and quite a few of the other titles that ran along side it, as well as several I've done lately.

I'm also pretty sure there was the standard run of merch for this show as well. This was the early to mid 1980s, after all, and that sort of thing was kind of at a peak at the time. If it was animated, on television, especially, and aimed at kids, there were clothes, books, and about three tons of plastic thingamadoodles associated with it. I was going to say “action figures” there, but I think part of the reason I'm having such trouble remembering this one is that the term “action” may be overstating the nature of the show a bit, and because I was, and still am, really, so much like the other little boys, it takes a fair amount more action for something like this to stick in my mind. Because of that, I'm pretty sure I only saw a few pieces of the merch here and there in stores. For as many strange things as I may have had as a kid, I'm pretty sure there wasn't any of this in it. At the same time, it's been quite awhile, so it's a bit hard to say.

But really, I think I've said all I really can about this. Monchichis is one of those shows that I really do barely remember, if only because I hardly ever watched it, that I can remember. As for what's next, I'll have to give it some thought. I do have a list, of course, but at the same time, I have had a bit of fun with these last few pieces as well, so any and all comments would be appreciated as well.

Either way, see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment