Wednesday, July 18, 2018

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Back At It Again


And not just the Text Play series.

I'd been meaning to get back to writing these on a regular basis since the end of March and just haven't made it happen. I've had a good deal of IRL stuff going on that I may actually get to at some point, but that's going to have to go on the back burner for a while longer now. I'm still going to try to finish Final Fantasy 9 and Secret of Mana, too, but I need something to get myself back into practice a bit first, and this turned out to be what I thought was the best option, simply because I didn't want to do a second or third playthrough of some of the other titles I've already done and the other alternatives I'd tried to give myself just haven't panned out quite as hoped.

This specific title is one I've been meaning to get to for five or six years now, as well. I'd meant to get to it sooner after I'd finished the original Final Fantasy game that came on the same disk, as part of the Origins collection. Basically, what this is is the very first sequel in the main series, released only in Japan for the Famicom system back in 1988. This was the second, obviously, of three games in the series released for the Famicom, though the latter two didn't get global releases until much more recently. I do believe this was the first global release of this title, with a similar compilation coming out for the Game Boy Advance in 2004 called Dawn of Souls, which came with a bonus dungeon and some tweaks that might have been helpful in this version as well. I won't say any more about those, though, since I've got the Origins version, and that's what I'll need to deal with.

The story in this game is a good deal more fleshed out than the one for the first game in the series. This time around, our main heroes are Firion, Maria and Gus, who escape a town being devistated by an army of seemingly invincible Black Knights. In the opening cinematic that comes with the Origins version, we see our main pary escaping said town with their friend Leon. When Maria stumbles and falls, Leon knocks one of the knights down with his sword while Firion, I'm assuming, hits another in the eye and neck with throwing knives, giving Gus a chance to help Maria up and get away. Both the Black Knights shrug it off like it's nothing and just keep coming.

In the cutscene that most likely opened the original game, the Black Knights continue their pursuit, managing to surround the party in the process. When the party realizes there's no way for them to escape, one of the knights tells them that this is what they get for being from Fynn, the kingdom they were invading, and they're going to wind up dead for it. There's no way to win the fight that starts because the Black Knights are faster than the party members and do substaintially more damage than they can handle.

Some time later, we see a lady named Hilda and a guy named Mindu, in this version, reviving Firion, saying that at least they didn't lose him, Maria or Gus after finding them bleeding out as they, too, escaped Fynn. Leon's nowhere to be found, and will be out of the picture for quite a while, though we will eventually reconnect with him. I'll say more about that when I get there, which may be awhile yet.

In the meantime, we've got quite a bit of game to get into here, so we may as well get started. When Firion finally comes to a few minutes after Hilda and Mindu leave to discuss strategy, he realizes he's all alone, calling out to his friends and not getting a response, much as Cecil will eventually do in Final Fantasy 4. Luckily for Firion, though, Maria and Gus are right out in the hallway. They tell their friend and leader that Hilda and her party rescued them, but Leon was nowhere to be found and nobody seems to know where he is.

From there, they go see Hilda and ask her if they can join the royal army and the rebellion against the Empire. At first Hilda says no and tries to send them home because she doesn't want more people wasting their lives in the war. All things considered, I'm not sure why she'd be turning down help like this, since one would think that any and all willing hands could only help their cause. Anyway, once Maria explains that they've already lost their homes and families, Hilda has a slight change of heart, teaching the party the rebellion's password: Wild Rose. When they use it on her, she tells the team that perhaps they'll be the ones who can sneak back into Fynn and find out if there are any survivors and get a message out somehow.

Once all this happens, the party is free to move and speak to whomever they like. Mindu is the obvious choice. He says that his fate is intertwined with that of the party, but for now he won't be joining them. He's also happy that the player is getting the hang of the game's keyword system, by which the party can learn important words and phrases to use on certain critical NPCs along the way.

Once we leave the rebel base, we learn that we're in the town of Altair, which is, for so early in the game, a nice hike from Fynn. Fortunately, there's a town called Gatrea along the way so the party can at least use an inn and stock up on weapons and armor if needed. The magic in this game works a lot like it did in the original in that you have to buy scrolls with the spells on them and then use them on whichever character you want to have a specific spell. The only magic shop we can get to right now, far as I can tell, is in Altair.

And I guess this is as good a place as any to at least try to explain how what passes for a leveling system works in this game. In the other games I've played in the series, the characters would gain levels as they gained an ever-increasing amount of experience points between levels, and their stats would improve each time that point requirement was met. In this game, however, in order for the characters to get stronger, they need to go out and fight, use magic, and get beat up. For example, to get more health, the characters need to keep getting the crap kicked out of them. The same applies to defense and using shields. In order for physical attacks to get stronger, they need to do physical attacks. Magic is the same way; using magic powers up the stats related to magic, and the spells get stronger each time they get used, too.

It's an interesting way of managing stats, but also more than a little cheap sometimes, too, because it can come back to bite you in the ass, especially if you're not careful about it. If you have a character use too much magic, their physical attacks suffer; the same is true of using too much physical force, which can make magical power go down. It also seems like the times when the monsters can do enough damage to the party members to raise their health- and defense-related stats is extremely limited, especially early in the game.

I was going to link to the Let's Play of the game that AppleGodZMG did of the game several years ago now, because he did a better job of explaining all that than I just did, but it seems he took it down. Not gonna complain or comment much further on the matter, simply because what's on other people's blogs and/or channels really isn't my call. There's an “In A Nutshell” animated parody of the game on YouTube as well, but I'll link to that after I've actually finished a few of the missions in the game, just so anyone reading can kind of understand where they're coming from.

Anyway, when I left off, I was grinding up the gold to get the last of the magic I needed. I already had the Cure spell, which I gave to Firion, who's stats make him best for giving white magic to, and the Fire spell, which went to Maria, since her stats are good for that. She'll also get the Ice and Lightning magic once I have the money for that.

When I pick up again, I'll probably already have the rest of my magic and will be going into Fynn to find our contact there. Hopefully, I'll also have new issues for FF9 and SoM up, too. I always do enjoy doing this, and it would probably help me, mentally, at least, to get back to doing it more regularly again.

Until next time, of course, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment