Saturday, April 13, 2019

TEXT PLAY: Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; SNES, 1993): Issue #011: August And April


Seems like I've only been getting to this in months that begin with the letter “A” lately. I'm hoping to change that, but we'll see.

Seriously, though, I hadn't intended to let this sit for as long as I did. Nine months is a bit much, really, and I need to get back at these things more regular, like I was saying with the Final Fantasy II issue I did a couple weeks ago.

This time around, I had figured I'd just do a little grinding in SoM while I waited for the virus scanner on my computer to finish and then go to bed after. When I started, the plan was to just get Mickey the Sprite up to level 12 like Jesse and Rose were, since that was just a couple hundred XP away. By the time I'd noticed, everybody was at level 13 already, and both Rose and Mickey had Undine pretty much at level 1, so I figured I'd give fighting the Fire Gigas one more shot.

Turns out the extra couple levels on everything really helped. This was in no small part due to getting some extra MP for the magic users. Well, “some” is kind of an exaggeration. They each get one extra, and I'm not sure if it's for reaching level 13 or if it's because I got Undine to level 1. Either way, the extra power and extra use of the magic really came in handy in finally bringing down the Fire Gigas.

When it does go down, we get an Axe Orb, another Mana Seed bound to the hero's sword, and magic from another mystical creature called Gnome. Gnome gives us earth elemental magic, which will be coming in handy soon, as is a thing with this game. We get magic like three seconds before it's just the thing we need to open a new area. Which is part of why I was frustrated with the game when I was trying to fight the fire-breathing cat in the witch's castle.

After we get the power of the seed for the sword, Mickey kind of mind melds with the seed or something and gets his memories back, at least in part, saying he's from the Upper Land Forrest and will be hanging with us until we can get him there. It'll at least give us black magic, anyway.

I used the Magic Rope dealie we got earlier in the game to get back to the start of the Fire Palace, and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself by doing that, but again, we'll see. Back in the Dwarf Village, I stocked up on supplies, upgraded the axe to the Lode Axe with the orb, and then saved.

I think there's somebody else we need to talk to there before we get on our way, because as is my habit, it was way too late when I was playing and writing all this, espcecially for a work night, so we'll get to that next time. With any luck, it won't be another nine months. See you soon, and stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment