Friday, July 12, 2019

TEXT PLAY: Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; SNES, 1993): Issue #012: Hunting for Jemas


This didn't go exactly the way I thought it would.

And it's not just because “July” doesn't start with an “A”.

In this case, it turns out that everybody in the Dwarf Village seems to have buggered off somewhere, leaving me with no more clues than I had at the end of the last issue. Since that was how it was, I found my way out of the village and Gaia's Navel as well. This landed me with no real idea as to where to go, and when I found the Cannon Travel guy, I had him shoot the party off to the Water Palace.

At the Water Palace, Luka tells us that Jema's overdue getting back from Pandora and wonders what's keeping him. I guess that's our cue to go to Pandora again to find the guy. It's sure not said in as many words. Either way, that's where we'll go.

Jema's not in the castle like he was last time. All that's going on there is the king having a panic attack over the idea of getting invaded by the Empire while his people are all zoned out, which kind of makes sense. All the other clues right now point to the ruined temple or whatever in the south part of the town.

On the way there, the party runs into Rose's friend Phanna, who gets beamed off to the ruins right in front of them. Fortunately, the ruins aren't that far away, and the party meets up with her at the entrance to the main structure. Phanna tells Rose to piss off and goes inside. Naturally, this means we'll have to follow her in hopes of rescuing her and finding Jema.

There's lots of tough monsters inside, and it's a bit of a maze. All of this is made worse by the fact that I had a long day the day I played this segment and wrote the article, so I wound up getting Rose and Mickey killed and I'm not sure I was even on the right track.

The good news is that I can still use the Inn in Pandora Town to rest and save, so when I realized it was time to stop for the night, I used the Magic Rope to get out and go save. I'll pick this back up again when I'm not so worn out and have a reliable Internet connection again. Until then, stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment