Monday, September 2, 2019

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #008 o/~ It's Cold Outside... o/~




To be honest, for most of the time I was actually watching Red Dwarf on my local PBS station, I could have sworn the second line of the song was “a snow kind of atmosphere,” but it turns out I was wrong.

As for the game, this will actually be the third or fourth time, at least, that I've played this part of it, which is how I knew I'd want Maria to have all three major elemental spells avaliable right now, and to have them at at least level two, if possible. I'll get to why as we carry on here, but for now, I'll leave it at that.

The trip to the Ice Cave, where the Goddess Bell is being kept, is longer than it needs to be, and not just because of the need to get the Snowcraft first. I had to start at the town of Salamand, since that's where the nearest in the area is, and head all the way to the west coast of the land mass. From there, it's a quick hop to the north, around the mountains, and then all the way to the east edge of the same land mass to find the cave. What sucks is that the cave is just as far east of town as we were west of it when we entered the snow field. The snowcraft was a clever idea for getting across the snow field, but I'm not sure how necessary it was. At least we've got a nifty vehicle out of it.

The whole area is full of snow and ice themed monsters, for the most part, and a lot of the rest are undead monsters. Having Maria's fire spell at level two comes in handy for that, and if done right, it'll get almost to level three, if not there completely. There are also some bomb-type monsters along the way, with the new one, called the Grenade, being weak against lightning magic. There's a good number of good treasure chests along the way, too. I got about two thirds of them this time, and my plan for now is to go back between issues to get the rest. It's not really for completion's sake as much as it is an excuse to stat farm, which is kind of an important thing in this game.

Since I'll be doing that and probably be fighting undead monsters as a result, I kind of regret using the Garlic combat item Josef came with along the way, but that's really no big deal, because I know there's an enemy around Kas'ion that drops more, if I'm lucky enough to get it.

The funny thing about this is the boss guarding the Goddess Bell. This is an ice cave, right, and that means one might be expecting a boss that's strong against ice, maybe? Right? And maybe even weak to fire? In this case, that's kind of how the boss here gets inexperienced players. The Adamantoise is another turtle-themed boss with defense through the roof and attack that can pretty much one-shot most of the party unless you've been really lucky with the HP boosts or have been going nuts grinding for it. On top of that, it's also weak to ice, like the Tortoise, I think it was, before, which seems kind of counterintuitive for an ice cave, but there we go. But this is why it's good to make a point of raising ice spells, for Maria and anyone else who has it, as high as is practical for this point in the game. I'm sure there are people who have it higher than I do, but I've only got it to 2 because between the health issues I'm working on and my tendency to get bored easily with this makes it unwise to put too much time into this.

Once the Adamatoise goes down, the party can claim the bell, which opens a shortcut to the top level. That comes in handy because there's another boss on the way out. It's that Borghen guy that was with the Dark Knight in Bafsk when the Dreadnaught got launched a couple issues ago. Borghen's a real pussy, especially compared to the Adamantoise, and goes down easily. Even though we did a decent job of slapping him around, he gets back up and calls a giant Indiana Jones boulder to crush the party. Josef does the noble thing and saves the others at the cost of his own life. I think I mentioned before that this was essentially the story that Dagger has to tell in order to get her Ramuh summon in Final Fantasy 9. I'm pretty sure I went over all that in more detail in that Text Play when I did that part of the game a while back now.

With his dieing breath, Josef tells us th head for Kas'ion with the bell so we can get the Sunfire and take out the Dreadnaught because the world's counting on us. Salamand's on the way there, so we may as well stop there to rest up and give Josef's daughter Molly the news. She never says in so many words that she knows her dad's toast, but she does say he's not coming back. There's the neighbor lady or whoever there to take care of the kid.

I also did some stuff at the shops. Sold off five of the Antidotes I had because I needed the gold and the inventory space. I also bought a pair of maces for Maria because the Longbow I had on here wasn't up to snuff any more and I'm not sure when we'll get another bow for her. Of course, it means I'm going to have to do some grinding to get Maria's Staff combat skills up to a decent level, but that's part of what makes it worth it to go back after what's left in the Ice Cave later.

And that's pretty much where I left off for the night because it was getting late and all that fun stuff. I'm going to try to move on with a little Secret of Mana next, simply because I need a little break from Final Fantasy stuff, and I'm sure you folks might appreciate one too. So until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment