Saturday, September 14, 2019

TEXT PLAY: Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; SNES, 1993): Issue #013: Grinding for Thanatos


It looks like I'm going to have to do some more grinding to get my levels up a bit if I want to get past this part of the game. Oh, goodie, just what I always wanted.

This was my second attempt at getting through this particular dungeon. At least I made it to the end, where the boss is. Getting there involves kind of a winding path, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought. The biggest problem is that the place is full of a monster called the Tomato Man, which can spawn zombies. The zombies can poison you but are easy to kill, while the Tomato Men are harder, almost requiring magic to kill them. There's also Chess Knights in there, too, and magic sword monsters, as well.

When the party gets down to the right place, it's just a moment before Thanatos does whatever he's gonna do to Dyluck and Phana. When we go up the steps on the stage he's got them on, Thanatos says he's heard of us because we're clearly not just anybody if we could take down Elinee, who was working for him. He gives us a chance to do the same, saying that if we don't we get turned into the same zoned out folks as are in town.

From here, I'm kind of glad I have to go back and grind for levels and gold and all that cool stuff before I try the upcoming boss fight again, because I'm pretty sure there's some stuff I missed. An example of that is that I'm not sure if we got a chance to say yes or no to Thanatos's offer. I'm sure if we are, we've gotta say no to it to advance. Regardless if there's interaction before the fight, Thanatos drops us from the stage into the room below to fight a giant face on a wall.

This is another one of those deals where having my stats up due to levels will come in handy. This wall face thing is weak to Gnome magic and the sword, best I can tell. I at least was reminded of the strategy to use before I got killed this time.

For next time, I'm gonna get the party's levels up by one or two and stock up on something called Fairie Walnuts, which restore magic, since those will come in handy.

Thing is, it's going to take me awhile to do that, since I've got a bunch of other stuff going on right now that will put gaming on kind of a back burner for awhile. I'll get into the details of what I can when I can. Until then, the next one of these I do will probably be on FF9, since that's the only one of the three games I've got going on now where I can advance the story any.

Until then, stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment