Sunday, October 27, 2019

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #009: To Kas'ion


By way of Altair.

It's kind of an out of the way sort of route to where I needed to be from where I was last time, but it's a good way to give one's self a few extra shots at boosting the party's stats, and the way these things work in this game, one can never really have too many of those. With that in mind, I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary to go talk to Altair and talk to Hilda, but still worth the time to do it.

When we pay our little visit to Hilda, she's heartbroken to hear that Josef is dead and says that we need to get to Kas'ion on the double so that his sacrifice has meaning. That's pretty much what both Josef and Maria already said, and I suspect it's possible to just go to Kas'ion without the side trip back to Altair.

On the way to where I should have been going the whole time, I decided that on my way back, I should probably take the sailing ship for hire from Poft to Paloom on the way back from the adventure ahead, if possible. While at Poft, I also bought a few Hi-Potions to add to my supply, since they'll be coming in handy in a bit. After that and a quick stay at the Inn, it left me with 406 gold left, which was just enough to hire Cid's airship to fly the party to Kas'ion, just to hurry things along on account of the fact that I got started later than I really should have.

If I'd have had any sense in me, that's where I'd have stopped for the night, but what fun would that be? Plus, getting Gordon in the party will save me the trouble later and make for a longer article now anyway. When we find Gordon behind the first door past the Sunfire room, he says he was gonna go in and get the Egil's Torch and come back with the Sunfire himself but the monsters were too much for him, so he decided to just chill out there and hope that the rest of the party would stay alive long enough and have the balls to come looking for him. I guess it's just more evidence that we're just supposed to go straight there from Salamand. How all that makes more sense than just having Gordon go back to someplace safe like Altair and just meet the party there so he could use his voice to get us into Kas'ion, I'm not entirely sure, but that's video game logic, right? And besides, like I said, what fun would it have been to do it that way and save us the trouble of having to get the Goddess Bell out of the ice cave.

Anyway, next time I take a mind to do this, I'll start earlier so I can be done earlier than I was this time around. At least I'll be in a better starting place then. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment