Wednesday, February 19, 2020

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #014: DIE-st!


Or Deist, as it is in the game.

I think I mentioned way back when I started this that this game has parts that are really easy and parts where it beats the hell out of you, with only a very few parts that are in between. The Dreadnaught part I did the last couple issues was one of those in between parts, relatively speaking. The way the bit I started here was one of the parts that kind of kicks the shit out of the party. Would have been nice if this part was issue #13, for the way it went.

At any rate, like I was saying last time, the king of Fynn's health kind of went to hell after we took out the Dreadnaught, so we had to go look in on him one last time before he keeled over. He has final orders for Mindu, Gordon, and Firion. Gordon gets put in charge of the army and leaves the party. Mindu gets sent after the Ultima Scroll, which is something we'll be getting to before long. The king's final order for Firion is to send us to a place called Deist so we can see if we can get help from the Dragoons there, saying that even though the Empire wiped the place out, there might be some left and we need any help we can get.

The trick is that we need a ship to get there, and the one in Paloom won't go there. On top of that, none of the other ship captains are willing to do it, either. Well, except for one called Leila. Maria and Gus tell Firion that it's probably a trap, but he says they kind of have to take her offer because it's all they've got and they need to get to Deist. Of course, Maria and Gus were right, because as soon as we're out of sight of the coast, Leila sicks her pirates on us and forces us to kick their asses to get where we're going. This part wasn't really that big a deal, but it is where things started going wrong. Once I got through the fight, I wound up landing in the wrong place and got my ass beat. I knew where Deist was from the couple other times I've played this part of the game, but still forgot that I had to go through a strait to get to the island it's on.

Got myself killed a few times before I did figure it out. Unfortunately, it's one of those things where it really didn't matter much, because all the monsters in the area, regardless where I land, can beat the party to a pulp. I did eventually make it to the castle of Deist, where there's this kid who tells us to stay back, but we need to follow him. Eventually, he leads us to his mother, who tells us that the empire poisoned the dragons that worked with the dragoons in this island nation, and all but one's dead, and that one's on it's way out, too. She says we should talk to it before it does, but we'll need to get a pendant from the cave to the north of the castle. Fortunately, it's a short trip when we get in there, because the thing we're looking for is in a short side tunnel to the second basement.

I'll get to that next time, though. For now, I had to evacuate to Bafsk to stock up on supplies before going in. Needed some phoenix downs, a couple cottages, and some more potions of various sorts. Hopefully, that'll be enough to get me through this part. We'll find that out next time, though, like I said. For now, it's late and I need to get to bed. Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment