Thursday, October 2, 2014

Newsgroups

They're still around, I guess

Google runs them now, from what I understand. It's convenient, sure, but there's quite a lot of Internet stuff under Google ownership nowadays. And yes, that includes Blogger, the main place this will be published.

It's convenient because I can sign into a lot of services I use with just one login, which is nice. At the same time, though, it gives a lot of information about what I read, watch, write, pretty much just do on the Internet to one company that also gets a lot of its money from that same information. It brings up concerns about what they do with the things I post and what they know about my viewing and reading habits.

Glad as I am that the old Usenet groups groups are still around, I do find it worrying that one big company is running them.

It's something to think about, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment