Sunday, August 16, 2015

Final Fantasy This Morning: Chicken Broth

...for the Final Fantasy 7 soul...?

I really need to get back to work on the Text Plays I've got outstanding. Especially since I'm so very near the end of FF6. I do have an issue partly written for the endgame that I should probably just edit to post as a standalone and then go ahead with the original idea I had for that.

With Final Fantasy 8, I'm not really sure if I'm going to continue with it. Granted, I've put a lot of time and effort into it, and I've made it farther than I have before, so one might think there's good reason for me to just press on. As is, however, I still have a disk and a half to go, and I get the sense that there's more padding than actual game to this particular ending, and I'm not sure how compelling that will actually be.

What I've been doing in the meantime is playing a fair amount of Final Fantasy 7, after having done a rather substantial explanation of it in one of the more recent issues of 8. The thing about FF7 is that it was as much a launch title for the original PlayStation as much as it was the next evolution in the series' progression to what it is today, for better or worse. With all that in mind, both Sony and Square did an excellent job of not only the story, but the look and feel of the game. Gotta say, it's held up very well for a game that's damn near 20 years old now. My opinion is that it's actually held up better than 8 has, in a lot of ways.

Another thing that's prompted my current attempt at FF7 is the upcoming remastered version that I've heard is set to come out sometime soon. While I do think the game deserves it, because it's a good game in its own ways, and a rather important one at that, this remastered version to have current-gen sound and graphics also seems to have a rather substantial gimmick feel to it. I want to think that Square-Enix is putting out this remastered version of one of it's best-known games for all the right reasons, there's also not a lot of denying that many of the more recent games in the series, especially from Final Fantasy 13 on, have been getting a lot of negative reactions from both old fans and new, but moreso the old ones like myself. I like to think I'm neutral on the matter, but all things considered, the fact that I've not played any of the games since 9 in spite of having many opportunities to pick some of them up is a good indicator that I'm not. In general, I do like to at least give things a shot before judging them, but I've openly admitted that just based on what I've heard about Final Fantasy 10, for example, I don't feel especially compelled to do that, and I tend to get mostly praise for making such assertions when I do.

With that in mind, I really do hope that Square is doing this remastered version of FF7 to introduce a game that many old school fans tend to say is the last decent game in the series to come out to a generation of gamers that may not have played it yet. At the same time, though, my fear is that they're just doing it to help Sony get back into my pocket, in which case, I'm going to have to decline the offer much as I have on all the games that have come out since FF9. In spite of some recent improvements in my situation, I still don't really have the money to throw around like that just yet.

I'm hoping those improvements will eventually give me a chance to at least finish the Text Play of FF6 I've got outstanding. It's been far too long in coming, and I'd at least like to get that much done, if nothing else. So, hopefully, I'll at least have something along those lines coming soon. See you in the very near future, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment