Wednesday, January 6, 2016

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VIII (SquareSoft, 1999; Playstation): Issue #040: Soakin' Ma Feetz

This one took multiple sessions, for reasons I'll explain below.

When I started this time around, I did manage to finish off getting the Med Data ability for Alexander. In the process, I managed to beat a Malboro and get one of its tentacles, which is an item that gives Quistis some new blue magic for her limit break and can also be used to upgrade her whip. With that in mind, I decided I'd try for a couple more, just for the hell of it, even though I've been having hit and miss luck since the first of the year.

Part of what made me think it might be a bad plan is that I hadn't noticed the Borg Cube-O-Lith floating over the city when I first went in to sell some stuff off, but found it blocking the camera as I worked on getting more Malboro tentacles.

The first session's of intentionally trying to get fights with Malboro tentacles didn't prove as productive as I'd hoped. I did get a few new abilities for Guardian Forces, and a few Propagator cards from the Mesmerize infestation around the town. The downside to that is that instead of finding the one specific monster I was looking for, I ran into Catercherpillars instead. Kinda odd how that happens, really.

The second go of it went a little better. I actually found a Malboro and stole another tentacle from it. Thing is, instead of turning it into a card like I did with the first one, I wound up killing this second one, when I hadn't meant to do that. Even though I wound up wasting the damn thing with Diablos, or EdgeLORD, as they're calling it in the CLG group LP, I still wound up getting more than 1000 XP for everybody. If you'll remember from the beginning of the game, levels are only 1000 apart. At least Squall's not in the party, because I think all the enemy levels are linked primarily to his. Don't quote me on that, though.

What's really making this suck right now is that I've only been running into the monster I'm looking for every 90 minutes or so, at minimum, which is a little ridiculous. So as to not to really and truly put an undue amount of time into it, I decided I'd only do three sessions of trying to get what I need to upgrade Quistis's stuff before moving on regardless of the outcome.

When I went the whole hour plus of the third session without even running into the monster I was looking for, I just decided that it was time to screw it and move on, so I went back to Eshtar to upgrade Quistis's weapon. Turns out, I need to have something called Energy Crystals to get the particular upgrade I was going for. I don't even really know where to get those damn things yet. I'm sure I could have gotten them by now, if I'd really wanted to, but I'm not that into grinding in these thing.

So, next time, it's at least an attempt at boarding the Cube-O-Lith and moving on with the story line. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment