Friday, January 1, 2016

A New Year's Tradition

Well, sort of, anyway.

There's this song called A Long December by a band called Counting Crows that came out the first year I was in college, which I guess is technically twenty years ago now.  Especially now that I'm old enough to be saying things like that, I find myself playing that song on YouTube on a fairly regular basis, and the start of a new year is one of those things.

Back in 1996, I was going through all the big changes that people here in the US tend to go through at the age of about 18 or 19, like I was at the time.  It was all a lot to take in, and that did make especially the last half of the year seem long.  On top of that, the weather was just plain awful that year, which added to the long feeling of the winter time of that year.

As I've gotten older, though, I've come to find a somewhat different meaning from it.  It seems now, at the age of 38, going on 39, that it's a song about being cautiously hopeful about the future, based on one's experiences coming into the change of the year, for example.



So, here's to a 2016 that's better than 2015 was.

No comments:

Post a Comment