Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Mister 1000

I guess I finally made it here.

It took me a little less than seven years to get to a thousand posts here. It will be seven years in November. I believe the actual day would be November 6th, but I'll have to check that out for sure again later. Maybe when I actually get closer to the date itself.

Back when I started this, it was because I'd gotten myself with somebody who said they were looking for a writer, and since I was one, more or less, I volunteered. I forget the name of the thing, but the topic, as I recall, was random, interesting news of the day. The person who's idea it was to set up this particular blog didn't really give me much directive beyond that, nor was there terribly much incentive to continue beyond the month or so I did it. Maybe that's my fault for not giving it more of a chance than I did, but when I did give it up that first week of November 2010, I did so with no regrets or looking back, and I'm actually kind of glad I did. I think I've learned more doing it the way I did than I would have had I stayed on there.

Mistakes were made along the way, of course, but that's true of every endeavor, really, and I suppose I would have made just as many if I'd stayed with the original thing. The part that bothers me about is that I'm not entirely sure I've learned anything from all of this. I say this because for awhile, towards the beginning of all this, I had AdSense on my blog, but lost it rather quickly, and I'm not entirely sure as to how or why it happened. I've also had a Patreon for awhile now, but I never quite figured out how to make effective use of it. I do know it works rather well for the people who do know how to use it, but unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

It could be the content, of course. I've been mostly a writer for quite a lot of my time here online, primarily because I've always thought it was one of my stronger suits. This, however, is not what most of the more successful people I know of on the Web do these days. In most, or all cases, really, they do video work in some form or another, and it's something I've never really gotten the hang of. I keep trying, of course, and I'd like to think I'm getting better, but it's so hard to tell from my end.

And then there's the video game stuff I've done. Quite a lot if it has been my Text Play series of playthroughs. Those have been quite fun, and I've managed to finish a few games I've always wanted to as a result. Things have been on hold in that regard for quite some time now. It's been in part because of technical issues on that front, but there are other issues as well. One is that I've been working on this because I intended for it to be the specific number it is.

The more major one is that because of work-related goings on, I've been more than a little undermotivated to keep up with this sort of thing, which is a little sad. I rather like doing this, when I do it, and I haven't been as much as I would have liked lately.

Part of the reason that makes things difficult is that, as I've noted a few times over these seven years or so, is that I've always intended to do more general, randomized posting than video game stuff, and for the longest time, it's been the opposite for rather a long time. Changing that is not going to be easy, but I'm sure going to try.

In order to do that, I really should look to the future, have a plan of some sort. I do have that, in a manner of speaking. I'm not entirely sure of what, exactly, that plan is, or where it will take me. I wasn't sure if I'd even still be at this a thousand posts ago, but I do know that going forward, there won't be as much crap posting for the sake of posting. Maybe I'll still be around in another thousand posts, maybe I won't. Hopefully, I'll have a bigger variety of content going forward, kind of like I did at the beginning. We'll just have to wait and see for sure, really.


Here's to the future, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment