Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Some Gaming News

This is something that could very well have turned out to be more expensive than it needed to be.

Those of you who have been following my Text Plays and other gaming entries here may remember that for awhile now, I've been having troubles with my Super Nintendo, recently culminating it what I had thought was it finally giving up the ghost. Turns out, that may not have been entirely the case, and I didn't think to check what seems like an obvious thing now that I've gone and spent $60 on a backup console.

To be fair, I still think it's money well spent, because I've been having issues beyond just being unable to get it to display on my big main television, and I'm not sure that simply hooking my original unit up to the full-on analog television I hadn't given much though prior to getting the spare will solve. Losing save files on carts strikes me as something that has little or anything to do with what sort of display the console is connected to, but I could be wrong about that.

That said, I suppose I can understand why the flat-screen LED style set I got for my birthday a few years ago might have had some trouble with the SNES. Even though I'm pretty sure the set is not smart enough to be getting updates, there's a more or less 20-year age difference between the two, and I'm pretty sure the signals weren't entirely the most compatible. I don't think screens of that type, for sure, or even size, were really common things in the early 1990s, and by 2014 or so, when I got the television, I'm not sure how many folks were still playing on actual 16-bit consoles any more. Probably a more common thing than I realize, but I also doubt it would be common enough a thing for manufacturers to worry about, too.

So, where am I going from here? Well, I'm planning on continuing with Final Fantasy 9, of course, but now that I've got a more or less functional “second” console again, I'm thinking of doing a “side game” sort of thing like I did with the original Final Fantasy back when I was doing Legend of Mana. The games I'm considering right now are Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, which was what I was starting again when I realized I had a problem, and Crono Trigger, which I've been meaning to get to for awhile, and can do a better job of on the SNES.


I haven't quite decided which one I'll be doing yet, so I figure I'll leave it open for comment until the end of the week, more or less. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment