Wednesday, August 16, 2017

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #034: The Halfway Point

Well, it took me longer than I had hoped to get to this, but I've got what I hope is a good reason for that.

I think I've mentioned having a few rather stressful things going on in my life right now, and that I should keep the details to myself until I get more of them at least figured out, if not resolved. I'm still going to stick with that, for the time being, save to add that I think all this is giving me more health issues in addition to the ones I'm always going on about. I'll keep the gory details out of these posts, especially, but I will say that while I wasn't a well man before, I do believe things have gotten worse recently, to the point where it's affecting my ability to do the things I enjoy doing, like this. But that's a story for another time, so on to relatively happier things.

Largely because of the grinding I was talking about last time, I believe I'd gotten Amarant's abilities caught up at least enough to where I could advance the plot again, which meant going into the Iifa Tree again, for the purposes of confronting Kuja when he shows up again. This doesn't take long, of course, because Kuja was on his way to investigate the end of the Mist soon as it happened, much as Zidane had predicted. We see him come swooping on in on his Silver Dragon, which actually kind of looks green to me, but that could just be the way the colors display on my screen, which is a good fifteen years newer than what this game was likely meant to be played on.

We're given the first of a couple chances to adjust the party and equipment loadout before going in after Kuja, who decided to take up a position on the main trunk of the Iifa Tree while he waited for whomever was coming for him to get there. All I did was switch out Vivi for Eiko because I'm pretty sure Amarant's not the only one who's pretty much where he needs to be for this point in the game, and I figured having a Black Mage would be more useful than having two healers.

I'm not really sure how much it matters, in the end, though, as the party stops before they go past the main trunk, opting instead to climb directly up to where Kuja is instead of finding another way or taking a Gargant, which is an option too, now, I guess. Since Zidane and Amarant are the only ones who can climb, they carry the others. Amarant takes Eiko and Vivi since they're small while Zidane takes Dagger.

When everybody gets there, there's another chance to adjust the party and equipment, but I stuck with the one from earlier, mostly for convenience. Kuja tells the assembled heroes that he'll deal with them in due time, but for now, his big target is Her Yugeness herself, Queen Brhane, because she's got one last Eidolon he needs to take on his real nemesis, who is apparantly someone we haven't met yet. I'm not sure if we were supposed to think it was Zidane before, but either way, we find out that there's more to Kuja than we were first made to think.

Kuja goes on to explain that Brhane wasn't exactly always the pillowy ball of love and sweetness Dagger had been taking her for all these years, and all it really took was his giving her a few nudges in the right direction, as it were, to get her to go to war with the rest of the world, which, in turn, got him what he needed.

And just as our prettyboy on a dragon explains that he knew the Mist Continent wasn't going to be enough for Her Yugeness, the lady herself shows up with her navy and several shiploads of Black Mages to prove him right. As the battle of baddies begins, Kuja uses some of the remaining Mist to create a new monster called the Mistodon to sick on the party so he can go duke it out with the queen.

One might think that this new monster would be a boss, but it's just a regular monster that we'll run into here and a few other places in the near future. This is an excuse to have different monsters show up in the secon half of the game, which will be starting shortly. For now, though, we've got what's mostly cutscene to deal with.

I like the way this plays out. Brhane has a decent strategy for a change, having the ships lay down some cover fire to keep Kuja busy while she uses the Black Mages to help her summon Bahamut. It's a nice enough plan that it actually almost works. Turns out, though, that both forces are fairly evenly matched, and the one big spell that the queen and her mages were working on finally gets cast after the ships had blown all their ammo keeping Kuja busy.

The sad part here is that with how things worked out, Bahamut is only just powerful enough to give Kuja his first and possibly only confirmed head injury of the game. Once that happens, Kuja does his own spell, which makes this big eyeball thing appear in the sky and turn Bahamut to his side, making him use his Mega Nuke attack on Brhane's navy.

Meanwhile, Dagger decides to go get the Eidolon that's sealed away in the Tree, thinking it will help her save Brhane, who Dagger sees as a mother. Turns out, this new summon is Leviathan, who, along with Bahamut, is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, Leviathan is useless for this cause, as it does water attacks, and the person we want to save is at sea right now.

The leadup to the end of disk two has Vivi monolouging about how he doesn't know how to feel about what just happened. He's confused because he wanted to see the queen dead about as badly as anyone, and now that she is, he feels kind of bad about it. It's partly because he knows it didn't have to end the way it did and partly because Dagger's a wreck over having lost her family again.

From here, we'll essentially be getting teleported back to Alexandria, where Dagger is mere days away from being crowned queen herself. The disk ends with the princess arriving at the castle and paying trubute to her now deceased mother.

I did play a bit into the thrid disk, just to make sure I was actually there when I pick up next time. We're in control of Vivi, for now. There are a few Active Time Events showing us Eiko checking out the castle, Artemecion the Moogle getting scolded for not delivering the mail like he's supposed to, the bull headed guys that I don't think I've bothered mentioning before, and one that ties into the main plot, Zidane being all broken up over having lost Dagger.

We're going to have to help him deal with that, of course, but doing that will have to wait until next time, which I hope won't take me two or three weeks to get to. I think there's a play we have to go see in Ruby's theater before Zidane will open up about how he's really and truly broken up over this because it's the first time he's ever really and truly been in love with someone, and now he's really and truly lost her because she's out of his league.


But, like I said, that's for next time, because, as always, I was doing all this way too late at night. So, until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment