Sunday, October 8, 2017

Signs: Fishing Spots On Northwest Side of Lake Alvin

I've got a few from October, but I should finish up the September stuff first.

So, after having a bit of success or luck with the Colman Rod and Gun post, I figured I'd highlight another favorite area in a similar manner. This one was a little fishing trip that took place a couple weeks after the hunting trip I wrote about in the previously mentioned post.

This time we went to Lake Alvin, which is a man-made lake 15 or 20 miles southeast of town. There are several public water access points on this lake. Some are developed to some degree, others are what one would call primitive. The developed ones have water fountains, decent docks, and picnic tables, amongst other things, available alongside pit toilets, whereas the more primitive ones just have a common pit toilet amongst them, located at the boat launch area.

The more primitive ones are on the northwest side I mentioned in the title are the ones we visited this outing. The dock at the built up ramp has been improved some over what I remember from when my dad and I would put something in there. There's also an earth ramp where a second boat can be launhed, should the area see that much activity. Since this is the free-use area maintained by the state, that's certainly a possibility. It's also why we see this nice sign:


I think there may actually be a law of some sort requiring that all this be done to help limit the spread of invasive aquatic plants and animals. It's certainly a good idea, considering how badly these things can mess up the general environment and fishing and hunting quality, but I'm not entirely sure how often it's followed or enforced. Fortunately, I do know where to learn more, which is this lovely site here.

The one I got more a kick out of is one I found at a pullout a bit north of the above image. I'm sure there's a good reason this sign is there:


The area behind that sign is a rather steep incline, but given the nature of people and visitors and the like, I'm sure there are people who would try to drive and/or park there. It just makes it a little easier to maintain the area and people's vehicles to have the sign there, though, I'm sure.

But I bring this up because there are some actual fee areas on the east side of the lake that could use a little work, and given the proximity to not only my own home town, but several others, this particular lake doesn't see as much use as one might think. Generally, I'm of a mind to think that's an OK thing, simply because I like having a place to go where there's maybe not so much traffic, but in this case, it might be a good idea to change that a little bit.


The thing is, there's the water fountain and pit toilet that go with the dock and picnic area at the southern section of the fee area that leaves me with a little concern. I'm not sure if there's a connection to this, but a few years back, we had multiple instances of significantly higher than normal rain come through the area, which resulted in more than a little flooding at Lake Alvin, and I think there may have been some sort of damage done. I've noticed since then that I wind up having an upset stomach and other intestinal issues after drinking the water out of that particular fountain. My line of thinking here is that if use of this particular area goes up, the state might prioritize fixing some of that. I'm not sure if it will actually work, but it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment