Sunday, October 1, 2017

TEXT PLAY: Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; SNES, 1993): Issue #004: A Quick Round Trip

One last of these before away from my computer and consoles for a few days.

I might get into details when I get back, but that's for then. For now, though, it's time for a short issue of Secret of Mana.

Last time, I said I was going to decide what to do about having the Girl in my party when I got to Gaia's Navel, since I'd taken the save point that was pretty much there. When I took the main entrance to the path to the Dwarf Village, Rose points out that we're not at the Haunted Forrest, and we're given the choice between going forward to the Underground Palace or back to the exit to the tunnel.

This time, I chose to take the exit and go for the Haunted Forrest. It's kind of hard to get to the right exit, because this section is laid out in something of a circular pattern, and keeping it straight in your mind is difficult if you don't know where you're going, but fortunately, there are signs to tell us where we are.

On the path from Gaia's Navel to the forrest, there's a guy who tells us that there are dangerous monsters in Gaia's Navel. Dude, we know, we were just there. Plus, they don't hold a candle to the monsters in the Haunted Forrest. Just north of there, there's a teleport dealie that sends us to the forrest, where there are these little Ewok things with bows called Chobin Hoods. They're like the Rabite, in that they show up in several games in the series, Legend of Mana included. They may have been a pain in Legend of Mana, but they're much worse here. Got the hero's ass kicked by them on the way to the point where the duo finds they need an axe to move on. The good news is that Neko was there, ready and waiting to sell us something called a Cup of Wishes, which is kind of like the Life potions in Final Fantasy games. They normally cost 150 gold, but since we're in a pinch, Neko's 300 will have to do.

The funny thing is that when the hero went down, we got switched to the girl, and once I had him revived, I forgot how to swich back to the hero. Once I did, it's a matter of pressing the select button hard enough to get it to work on a 20-plus year old controller.

Thing is, on the way out, I got the girl's ass kicked, too, but this time, it was a more common problem with my own play style than anything I might have to say about the game. I just plain and simply forgot to heal her up, which tends to be a fairly common thing, which is somehting folks who have been following me since Breath of Fire have probably seen.

Since I did something dumb and couldn't afford to bring her back, I had to drag Rose around as a Force ghost until I could get to the Inn in the Dwarf Village. There's a pair of switch puzzles that we'll need to get through to the town. They're both marked as skulls on the wall that break when hit with a weapon. One douses some lava, the other makes a platform that leads into the village.

First thing I did when I got there was go to the Inn to get the hero's HP back and revive Rose. I helped pay for that by selling off the hero's Bandana because I won a helmet from one of the goblins guarding one of the switches, and a little extra gold from a monster guarding something called the Escape Rope. Might need that in a bit, but for now, it's off to visit Watts the Blacksmith. He'll reforge the sword into a slightly stronger model and tells us to come back in a bit because he wants to make an axe for us, on account of there being Mana power in his hammer now.


This later is after we get the Sprite and beat a monster called Tropicallo. We'll get to that next time I have a chance to play, which I'm hoping will be sometime next week. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment