Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Late Night Walk


This was probably not the best idea I've ever had, but I need to start somewhere, after all..

I had a couple things I needed to get in the mail last night, and I eventually got it done, after my usual way of putting it off for longer than I should have. By the time I got going, it was a quarter after eleven at night, but I decided to walk it anyway. Like I said before the jump, probably not the best idea I've ever had, but I do need to start someplace, after all.

The closest place I know of that I can get mail dropped off at the time of night I was going out is my neighborhood grocery store, which is open 24 hours and has a mail slot at the service desk. On my way back, I remembered that there was a gas station that was closer than the three or four blocks away the grocery store is, but I'm not sure if that's open as late, and I'd have to cross a busy street to get there.

For as bad an idea as it was, though, I did remember a few reasons as to why I'm trying to take a little weight off and get in better shape than I'm in at present. Sure, the pain in my left hip and the fact that I needed to stop and rest a couple times along the way are things that make for a good base level, a good place to start. The bad news, for me, at least, is that those things are just a place to start, which means I need other things to keep me motivated along the way.

Some good news to come from this is that I did come up with a couple of those other things in the course of the 45 minutes or so I was out on this little walk. There's a barbecue place between my apartment and the grocery store, and I guess they were getting some of their food ready for their lunch rush today or something, because I could smell them cooking barbecued something, and it smelled great. I'm a fan of barbecue, though I don't fix it myself or go out for it as much as people might think. Still, it kind of explains why I have four bottles of sauce in my kitchen.

On the way back, I also noticed a group of people outside one of the bars along the way, and at least one of them was smoking, because I could smell the tobacco smoke, which brought back good memories of doing things at various lakes and resorts and such with family when I was a kid. It wasn't so much because there were terribly many smokers in my family when I was very young. My grandfather was the only one that really stands out. There were enough other people around who smoked that it kind of stood out.

One last thing I got out of thls probably ill-advised late night walk was something I'm not sure I'd ever seen before. A ladder truck happened to come by and back into the fire station that's just north of the grocery store. I'm not sure I'd ever seen that go down before, at least not at night. Those ladder trucks are long vehicles with a lot of lights on them. It was an interesting thing to see, and I'm glad I just happened to be sitting where I could see it happen. So, seeing new things like that might be a good reason to get myself into a little better shape, just so I don't have to stop doing that any time soon.

The good news here is that I am finding a little motivation to turn myself around here. I just hope I can keep it up for awhile while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment