Sunday, April 19, 2020

More Than Just Video Games

There's a line from one of the Next Gen Star Trek movies where Picard asks a member of his bridge crew if they remembered when they were explorers, on account of they'd been doing a lot of political or defensive missions instead.

I'm starting to feel the same way about this blog, on account of my doing mostly Text Play stuff lately. That's not an entirely bad thing, at least to my way of thinking. I enjoy doing the video game stuff, after all, and I like sharing that enjoyment with whatever readers I may get. I hope you all get some enjoyment out of it, too.

It's just that I used to write about so much more, too, and I kind of miss doing that. Part of the reason I haven't so much the last couple years is that I really haven't had as much time or energy to put into it as I would like to. Certainly this virus thing we've got going on now has been part of it the last few months. But even before that, I'd been working six days a week for quite awhile, which has not made things easy.

On top of that, I've been dealing with some severe health issues for far too long now as well. As I'm sure I've mentioned in a few previous posts recently, I've finally gotten myself into a place where I'm a little more able to make changes for the better, and I've had some positive action on that front. That's still going forward, at least to some extent, and I might make a little time to write about that later, but for now, it's just as importat to note that said progress hasn't been as quick as it has been.

A big contributing factor to that is the mental fatigue I've been feeling lately. Between the long work weeks, this virus thing, and a few other things, I've been feeling worn out mentally, to the point that I just can't get up the gumption to sit down and write about much else than the video games I'm playing. Physically, I'm feeling better than I have in years, which is a good thing, which makes the fact that I don't seem to have the time or the mental resources for decent non-gaming posts or IRL adventures that much more difficult for me, which only makes my mood worse.

I guess the thing to take away here is something that applies as much to the current situation in general as it does to getting back to my original content ideas for this blog: we can only do what we can do. For now, that's not nearly as much as I'd like. Hopefully things will change for the better soon, and I'll actually be able to do things with some of the other ideas I've got. Until then, I guess the best way to end this is with a slightly altered version of the ending I use for Text Play posts: stay safe, have fun, and DFTBA, all. See you soon, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone, that's for sure, Jesse.
    Just yesterday I walked about half a block to the drugstore, and it was a welcome break from being "shut in."
    I also enjoy the times John and I talk on Skype, and you and Mike V. join in.

    ReplyDelete