Wednesday, April 15, 2020

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #003: Here And There


We'll be going a few places this issue, too.

But then, that's probably going to be quite a lot of them, really.

As far as the actual game goes, it plays out pretty much the same as it does in the SNES version. The revised dialog makes everything more clear here, from start to finish about how Cecil and crew are friends at Fabul in spite of what's coming, that the king fights alongside the men, and even that Rosa and Rydia will be assisting the medics instead of all three of those last ones just hanging out in some sort of safe zone until the fight's over. It makes a little more sense for the king to be hurt later and for Rosa and Rydia to show up in the Crystal Chamber after Cecil and Kain have their deul before Golbez shows up the first time.

One thing this cleaned up version does that the SNES version doesn't so much is that it plays into that trope about how the main protagonist and/or antagonist tends to pass on obvious chances to off their counterpart if there's still more of the story to be told. This is one of those things where you'd think I'd know all this a little better, for the number of times I've been through the original North American release of the game, but I'm not entirely sure of what Golbez tells Kain. I think it's something about just being sentimental. In this version, Golbez tells him he shouldn't hesitate to kill in these situations and then doesn't take the chance to finish Cecil off himself after Kain's done all the heavy lifting for him, opting to just take Rosa hostage instead.

One other thing a person might think I'd remember is what Cecil's last gear upgrade was called in the original. Pretty sure it was all Black, but don't quote me. In this version, the armor portions of it are called Demon, and the sword the king gives him is called Death. The king says it came froma dark knight who visited many years ago, too, which is less clunky than the original.

Once all that's been taken care of and the ship back to Barron has been arranged, I went to the Chocobo Forrest to drop off all the armor and stuff that had built up in my inventory with the Fat Chocobo because I was running out of room there. I kind of have to do this in the SNES version, too, but it's a bigger issue here because we get almost too damned many items in this version.

Another change worth mentioning here is that this version does indeed call it the Fat Chocobo rather than the Big Chocobo in the SNES version. It's a minor change, of course, and one that doesn't bother me as much as one might think, since I'm not exactly a skinny guy. Then again, this game in particular is part of the reason for that, and I'm still not going to begrudge it the use of the word fat as much as one might think because I know it was in the original. And this is where I decided to stop for the night after the first session. The second was the trip to Baron itself.

Or, at least what was supposed to be the trip to Baron, anyway. As the ship Cecil and crew proceeds to its unfortunate fate with Leviatan, they discuss going to see Cid, the chief designer of Baron's airships, when they get there. But, as I said, they never get there because the ship gets sunk by Leviatan. This version makes me wonder if that's not one of the actual names for the serpentine King of the Seas because it's spelled that way in both versions I've played. I had always thought it had something to do with built in limits for the number of characters in names, but now I'm not so sure.

With the ship down and the rest of the party scattered to their various fates, Cecil washes ashore and comes to on the shore near Mysidia. The scene plays out the same, with Cecil wondering where everybody is rather than just saying he's alone now.

When he gets to town, the curses, epithets, and spells the mages use on him seem more natural for what native and fluent English speakers might say than they did in the SNES version, and for the most part, I like that. One of the few changes I'm not so fond of is that the sign in the pub simply says that Baron can burn in hell rather than for the patrons to never forget or forgive what Baron had done.

Another change I'm not so sure about is that the Village Elder is a little more subtle in his forgiveness of Cecil when the former is sending the latter off to become the paladin on Mt. Ordeals, telling him that he's no longer just a mindless killer because of what he's been through since the start of the game.

Palom and Porum are still assigned to spy on and assist Cecil as he goes up the mountain on his quest. Porum, the girl, seems pretty much the same as what I grew up with, but Palom, her brother, seems more dickish in his arrogance than just annoying as he was in the SNES edit. I'm neutral on that. When we meet back up with Tellah on the mountain, the whole conversation seems more clear as to the adults' motivations, and the addition of Cecil's line about having wanted to give up his dark ways for awhile is a nice change.

On the gameplay side, this is where the challenge level really does pick up compared to what I'm used to. I'm mixed about that, because I do like that the game's challenging again after all these years, but at the same time, it also means that the strategies I've gotten used to using don't work so well, if at all. Hell, the Cocatris enemies that show up here actually managed to turn two of my characters to stone before I could run away, which I don't think has happened since the very first few times I played the game back in the early 1990s. Also, the undead monsters on the mountain seem a lot harder, too, actually killing Tellah once, which has been rare for me for awhile.

The cutscene with Golbez and Kain that happens at the start of the Ordeals area makes it a little more clear that Golbez is denying Kain a second shot at his old friend simply because he blames Kain for the fact that there's even a need for a second shot in the first place. It's like I was saying above, though, this is the trope of the bad guy not taking a clear chance to off the hero when it was given, back in Fabul, in this case.

To wrap up the second session here, I made it to the save point at the summit before going ahead with the boss fight there, simply because time kind of got away from me. That was in part because I was kind of surprised by just randomly getting the Imp summon from a party of four Imp Caps and two Imps. It's a rare thing for that to happen, really, to the point where I could probably count the number of times I've gotten any summon without looking for it on one hand, and I've been playing this game for damn near 30 years now.

Anway, the third session started with the fight with Milon the Earth Fiend. This battle is set up the same way in both versions I've got, in that there are two rounds with Milon. The first one has him as a somewhat frail monster accompanied by four undead creatures. When he blocks the party to start the fight, he says he's going to personally take them to hell for Golbez, but first, he's gonna let his undead monsters eat us. He's not quite so direct or explicit in the SNES version, nor is it quite as difficult there.

The second time around, he'll attack in his true form. I could not have botched my first shot at that any harder if I'd tried, in part because I'd even forgotten that Milon attacks from behind, which is something I really should have remembered. He's also got some sort of status attack he at least tries to do when he's hit with fire attacks. I'm not exactly sure what, of any, effect it's supposed to have. I'm assuming he's trying to turn the party into zombies, based on how there's something he says about having them join his minions. After losing the first time, I made the apropriate adjustments for the second attempt, and it worked out much better. The second shot was pretty much all using the twins' Twin spells and Cecil's sword because those actually work on Milon himself, and Tellah as a healer.

When Milon dies, he says he's going to see us in hell, rather than saying we're going into the deep ravine with him.

Past that is the scene in the shrine. The voice that gives Cecil his class change says it's been waiting with a heavy heart because of what is to come, and will have to deal with worse afterwards. When Cecil completes his trial, the voice tells him that some people fight for law while others fight for justice, and asks his son what he will fight for.

As Cecil contemplates what it all means, the twins come within an inch of telling him the truth about why they went with him before Tellah says they need to get going because the voice gave him all his spells back, plus Meteo. With that, it's back to Mysidia to talk to the Elder and get back to Baron, finally. But since I was at a point where I needed to stop and rest, that's where I ended the third session, so that's also where I'll start the next issue of this, as well.

Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA. See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment