Saturday, July 11, 2020

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #058: Noggy the Nog Sprite...?


Is the Moogle I saved with at the end of this session like the little sprite in this MST3K short, only for the Deep Space Nine character?

Man, two months away from this, and then I come back and start with a Mystery Science Theater joke. I really hope this isn't a portent for where the rest of the game is going. At the very least, I'm inclined to think this might go something like the host segment related to the clip I linked above. Before I get into why that is, I should probably cover what I did leading up to that.

The last two months away from the game have been mostly IRL stuff that I'll try to cover in the handfull of Coffee Time videos I've got kinda-sorta planned out, and will hopefully get to sooner rather than later. The important thing in terms of the game is that I've been away long enough that I'd forgotten that I'd left the airship docked in the landing bay at Lindblum instead of landing it on the overworld map. I spent a fair amount of time screwing around there trying to find it, only to finally notice it as part of the map graphic for Lindblum. I'm just glad things didn't go bad for me while I was dicking around, too, because on my way out of town, I played a few hands of Tetra Master, or whatever the card minigame is called, and actually managed to pull off a perfect game with the second person I tried my luck with. It also put me over 100 cards in my collection, which counts multiples, it seems. Looks like I might have to find a way to ditch some later. I've rarely managed to do that, since I don't usually bother with the card game after the related plot point wraps up in the first third or so of the game, if memory serves. I suspect it's one of those things that the developers kind of expected would happen, because it seems like a person's really gotta go out of their way to get very far with it once we get much past that plot point. There's still plenty of folks around Lindblum who want to play, but not so much in the more advanced areas. I'll give an example later on.

I did do a little level grinding while I was looking for the ship, but for the most part, the monsters in the area don't give enough gold, XP or AP to really make it worthwhile. I'm just embarrassed to admit that it took me as long as it did to figure out where the ship actually was. Worse yet, I also kept making the same dumbass mistake I always make and was a bit lax in saving my progress, because I did manage to make decent gains beyond just the card game.

I really wasn't sure what my plan was going to be when I decided to finally come back to this. It was just that I was going to try to do something with it. With that in mind, I went to the Caves of Narshe site to look for hints. They suggested that I make a point of going to a place called Daguerreo so I could stock up on some high end equpment. As I was writing this, I came to learn that I was actually supposed to find the place before I did Ibsen's Castle. Not sure I'd even heard of the place before looking it up on CoN before playtime tonight. I don't remember finding the place last time I made it this far in the game, and as far as I can tell, I've never seen an LP of the game that might have told me. I know County Line Gaming did a voice acted playthrough of this game and FF7, I think, but their site's been gone for years now, and I'm not sure what's still on their YouTube channel, if that's still up.

I did talk to a few people in town while I was looking around. One big thing that I remember being mentioned was something about a dragon god maybe having an influence in the area because there's way too much water around for what kind of area this is. I'm sure it's somehow related to all the interdimensonal Gaia/Terra stuff that's going on. There's researchers and the like around, doing the kind of stuff Doctor Tot was doing at the beginning of the game. There's one that's meant to help us learn about the lift system the town uses that's also the card game example I mentioned above. He says he's studying things and basically he tells us to piss off when we ask him to play cards. Didn't see so much of that earlier in the game.

We also run into a few characters from earlier in the game who have come to lean about various things relevant to who they are. There's one of the holy people from Cleyra who's come to learn about the rest of the world. Engineer Zebolt from Lindblum has come to learn about power systems. And of course, there's the Four-Armed Guy that Quina wound up creeping on awhile ago, too. He says he's there to find treasure and will riff on Zidane depending on what the party's treasure hunting level is. Mine's not very good, of course, but that's because I'm not going for a 100% run here, after all.

Figuring out the lift system wasn't so hard. There's a system of levers that control a set of pillars that go up and down based on water pressure. There's a bar by the bookshelf to the right of the levers that needs to go into a hole behind the leftmost pillar where the guy who's reading is.

Once we get to the upper level the pillars take us to, there's a weapons shop that sells what we're looking for. I went in with almost a quarter million gold, and when I finished my buying spree, I had maybe a tenth of that left. There's a synth shop there too where I can maybe get some new stuff, but as always, I need to be sure I've learned everything I can from what I've got before I make it into new stuff. That's going to involve some grinding here, like in the other two games I'm playing here, so it might be awhile before more new Text Play stuff shows up. I'm hoping I've got enough other material to put up in the meantime, but like I've said in my non-gaming posts lately, I've got doubts about that. We'll see soon enough, I suppose. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment