Thursday, July 23, 2020

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #023: Firion's Big Adventure


Maybe not quite as silly or as much fun as Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, but the thing we're looking for actually is in the basement of Castle Fynn.

When we left off last, we were looking for a way into the basement of Castle Fynn, and we needed to find that Pavel guy to give us a clue. He's in the house on the lower left side of the Town of Fynn. He remembers us and tells us the secret entrance is in the upper right corner of the throne room in the castle and asks why we're looking for the White Mask anyway. We're not given an option to tell him, which I guess kinda makes sense from a resistance cell perspective.

When we use the password where Pavel said to, we're allowed into the basement, and the adventure begins. There's some decent treasure to be had in here, of course, some of which I'm going to have to go back for, but I'll mention what it is later. The White Mask we're after is on the bottom floor, naturally, and the monsters on the first couple floors are new and kind of tough, which are both things to be expected. There are a couple of them that look like brains. One's even called the Brain, though I don't think there's a Pinky in this game. The bad news is that I can't avoid the Pinky and the Brain reference now. The other monster of this sort is called the Switcher, which, well, switches it's HP and MP with whichever party member it's attacking. The other ones I'm sure are new are the Parasite, which drains health and magic for itself, and the Killer Mantis, which is just tough as balls, but something I could run from, too. The bulk of the enemies here are ones I think we've seen before, though. A lot of them use magic, but the good news for me is that my party's magic resistance is high enough this playthrough for that to not be much of a problem.

Like I was saying, the White Mask is in a room on the bottom floor. The door to that room is the second one out from the wall. The thing I want to go back for is the Blood Sword. I knew where it was and had a pretty good idea of how to get to it, but wound up bypassing it because, as usual, it was kind of late when I was doing this and I forgot there was no boss fight at the end of this, so I just went on through to get the mask and use the Warp Tile to get out of the dungeon. I'll probably go back in later to get it. I've still got some grinding I want to do, and this is as good a chance as any. Probably won't make a post about it unless something interesting comes up along the way.

On something of a side note here, I got a comment on the last issue with a game recommendation. I do kinda have my eye on a new gaming system, but I don't know if they make any Spyro games for the Switch, and even if they do, there are a couple other games I'll probably get first. I get more into that in a post I really need to get on with finishing and posting. Same for the other games I've got going on, too. Hopefully, that won't be too long. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment