Friday, November 20, 2020

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #064: Mini World Tour: One Night In Treno

That's a title I probably should have used when I was in Treno for plot-related reasons, or on one of the many return trips I was apparently supposed to be making over the course of the game.


I remedied at least some of that this time around. I just wonder how much I've missed by not realizing what I was passing up. I guess I'll just have to take advantage of what I did get.


At first, I stopped at the observation tower near Dali, since that's where I'd left off last time. There's a dude there called Morrid, who's a coffee fan like me. He's looking for different kinds of coffee to try, which is a hobby I understand quite well also. I think I've found at least one of his unique coffees, but it's been awhile if I did, and I'm not sure I remember what I might get for them.


With that in mind, I tried to go into the Ice Cavern again, since it was handy, but a guy from Dali came out and blocked the path, saying the cavern is melting, presumably because the Mist is gone now, and the magic that kept it going is gone with it. From there, I hoofed it to the gates between Dali, Treno, and Lindblum. Turns out the one by Treno is also the South Gate. There's an item shop there, with a name that's a reference to the original Final Fantasy 2, which is another Text Play I need to get back to as well. Unfortunately, there's no Bundt Cake there for Cinna, at least none that I could find.


Since I'd needed to use the pass I'd gotten way earlier in the game to get past the first gate, I figured I'd go all the way on to Treno to see what was going on there. I hadn't expected much, and at first, I was right. But then I made it to where we were supposed to turn in the Stelazzio Coins. I'd picked up several since the last time I was in Treno, and for my troubles, I got a total of 7000 gold, an Pheonix Pinion, and the Blood Sword, which is a broadsword for Steinter. That last one was, appropriately enough, the reward for the Aries Coins. Apparently, this was all stuff I was supposed to have done way earlier in the game, because the sword is way weaker than I had expected, and the ability Steiner gets from it only takes 30 AP to learn.


From there, I found the Knight's House, which is something of a weapons shop and a battle arena. The lady working the counter happened to have a Stardust Rod, which I need at the Synth Shop. There was also something about the monster in the cage below the shop. I forget what the monster was called this time around, but I sent Amarant in, hoping it would get him some XP and the AP to finish off the skills I was teaching him. I wasn't so lucky in that regard, but I did get fifteen grand out of it.


I took that money to the auction house to get some of the items I'd missed there as well. I got two of the four items on offer: the Mini-Cid and Doga's Artifact. They're both key items, and like so many others I've gotten thus far, I'm not sure of what their purpose is. There was a Promist Ring up for grabs, as well, but bidding for that was getting out of hand, so I gave it up. It was up to almost 30,000 gold, and I already had one that I'd pretty much gotten all the benefit I could from. There was one other thing, but I wasn't willing to go to the time or expense of getting it, at least for now.


I'll have to check out some of my resources to figure out if I've further screwed myself, and how badly if I have. At least I'm getting somewhere with all this again, even if it's progress I should have made quite some time ago. Kind of like where I am in real life, but that's another post for another time, I think.


At any rate, I'm hoping it won't be another month before I get back to this. Hopefully, it'll only be days, or at worst, weeks until then. As always, though, until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment