Tuesday, September 14, 2021

A Memory Of Joy And Hope

It's a nice thing to have come across, and now is as close to a perfect time as it could be for such a thing.


Before I get to that memory, I should set things up a little bit. A while back now, I gave to a Kickstarter to make an independent season of Mystery Science Theater. It was one of the lower tiers because even though I had more to give this time than I did the last time I had such an opportunity, I still didn't have an awful lot to give. It was still enough to get access to a forum board to discuss any and all aspects of the franchise that the community can think of, at least related to MST3K and its spinoffs and successors. Because this is a fan community, after all, fan fiction is a part of it. There was one thread about MiSTings, the term we used for MST3K fan fiction riffing on other online stuff that I came across.


A few posts in that thread had links to various sorts of archives of old MiSTings from way back in the day. One of them was a Wayback Machine archive of Web Site Number Nine's listings and files, including quite a few of the old works I had there. As I was saying above the jump, it was nice to come across that because it made me remember a time in my life when I was actually a good deal more proud of what I was writing and actually had mostly positive thoughts and feelings about my future.


It's one of a few good things that's happened lately that I kind of needed to see, because I could use a little hope and positivity right now, with all the not-so-good stuff that's been going on in my life around the time I wrote this. Another one of those good things is that I've finally lost enough weight to move down a size in blue jeans, at least. I might do a post all its own on that at some point, because there's the Mystery Science Theater stuff I'd like to address for now.


For as good as it is to see, and maybe even have a shot at reposting, some of that old stuff again, it's also made me realize that I've been in something of a darker place than I think I'd been aware of for quite a long time. I seem to have become less hopeful over the last ten or fifteen year now, and I' not sure why or when exactly it started. I just know that when I saw these old things again, I came to realize that the hope and joy I felt from writing and posting that stuff was just a memory, something I hadn't felt in quite a long time.


If there's a good side to that, it's that I think I have something of a chance to get at least some of that back. All I have to do is keep working on the projects I've got going, and hopefully finishing some of them will get my motivation back up to keep going in the right direction with my health as well.


That said, I also find myself being a bit of a downer about seeing some of this stuff again as well. Quite a lot of the things I'm finding again are ones I'd pretty much considered lost to time and cyberspace when the sites they were hosted on went dark, and for a long time now, I've thought that was maybe for the best. I'll be taking a closer look at some of it again in the near future, as time alows, and I may remember why that was. I may still repost some of it here and in the related newsgroup again, all the same, just for old time's sake.


Anyway, that's kind of where I am now on some things. See you soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment