Friday, January 14, 2022

Early Thoughts On: Spiritfarer for Nintendo Switch (pt. 1)

This is going to be kind of a sporadic series here.


Basically, this series or whatever the correct term might be for what's going on here is going to be about initial and early thoughts on things where that sort of thing might apply. I suspect that means mostly video games and show series, but I'm sure there will be other things in the mix as well.



I'll be starting this off with a Nintendo Swich game called Spiritfarer that my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas 2021. It's about this young woman named Stella and her cat Dafodil, who have just been chosen by Charon to take his place ferrying spirits to the great beyond when their time comes. It looks like it's going to be an interesting game, with quite a few elements I enjoy.



There's something of a role-playing and/or adventure game element to it, which is something I've been kind of a fan of for a long time, as I'm sure anyone who's followed this blog for any length of time has probably noticed. A big part of the game, as I understand, is going around the world in search of the spirits and souls and whatnot that need to do what they need to do to get to their afterlife. It also serves as the means to gather the materials needed for the crafting materials for upgrading the boat and a few other things, as well as the gold to buy things with.



The crafting bit seems fairly similar to the one in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, from what I've seen so far. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that the crafting table itself plays more of a part in what you can actually make and how you make it than it seems to in ACNH. It's going to take some getting used to, of course, which will take some time.



Another thing that's going to take some time to get used to is the platforming aspect. That's mostly due to the fact that I was never what one might call especially great at platforming games, even when I was playing them regularly 30-some years ago. Age and lack of practice since then has not done me any good in that department. If that's the worst I can say about the game, though, it looks like it's going to be a pretty good game.



I've put a “part one” in the title to this one because I might come back to it eventually, on account of only being about a half hour or 45 minutes into the game at this point. It might be interesting to see what I think later on, how my opinion might change.



See you soon, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment