Thursday, April 21, 2022

Looking Back Quickie: The Weather Channel

So I guess the Weather Channel has been around for 40 years now.


I guess that makes me just old enough to remember when that was, since I turned five that year. Might not have thought about that if I hadn't seen a commercial to that effect while I was at my parents' house recently.


I can still remember way back in the day when it eas entirely or at least mostly weather information and that siad information was still useful. I'm sure that was up until I was in college, but since then is a different story. Kinda makes me realize how long ago the mid- to late 1990s were, too.


All this gets me to thinking about hoe much a lot of channels like this, have changed over the years. It seems like it's mostly weather-themed television show programming now. It's interesting stuff from time to time, but I keep forgetting how much of it there is these days. Probably why I keep tuning in, expecting to see the sort of thing that was there when I was a kid. I know there's at least one playlist out there on YouTube that I'll put in at the end.


It's a reminder that things have really changed over the course of my life. It's to be expected, unavoidable, really, over 45 years. A lot of it has been for the best, of course. Not all, of course, but most. It's just too bad that the modern Weather Channel had to be one of the things that's in the “not so much” category.


Anyway, here's a playlist of what I remember the Weather Channel to be, and still think it is more often than I probably should:


No comments:

Post a Comment