Sunday, November 20, 2022

Passing Thoughts On: Elon Musk's Twitter

Well, this certainly is a spot, isn't it?


I'm sure by now, most folks reading this know that Twitter's not in a good way any more, and it's largely due to Elon Musk's decision to go through with buying the damned thing, weather or not he wanted to. As I sit and reflect on it, this is something a lot of folks I follow kinda saw coming a mile away, and for the most part, they were saying it was going to basically wreck the site. From the looks of things, they were right on that.


A good many of them are on their way to other social media sites because of that. For at least two that I can think of, it's a move that's been hastened along by Elon letting his good buddy Donnie Boy come back to the site. It's a sentiment I'm inclined to agree with, of course. From what I've seen over the last couple weeks, things are really not going so swell for Twitter, to the point that it might not be a thing come this time next week.


With that in mind, am I planning on leaving Twitter myself? Yeah, eventually, if only because I must. In the near term, I'll still be there awhile, mostly because I'm not sure where I'm gonna go once I do leave Twitter for whatever reason. I'm on a few other social sites, so I've got options, which is good.


There's only a handful that I'm going to advertise here, for now, because there's a couple that I want to keep more or less private, at least for the time being. For now, though, here are the ones I am going to advertise:


My YouTube Channel: This is where my JMShearer Tries and Coffee Time videos go, but there's also quite a lot of other stuff I do there that's mostly just me passing time between shifts at work and on days off. A bit of a content warning, mind you: there's some content there that's at least potentially questionable as a result, and some of it is even my own. There's also a fair amount of NSFW stuff outside of my own work


My Tumblr page: Another place that's about a third my own stuff and two thirds sharing other people's stuff. There's also a fair chance of finding NSFW material there, as well. I don't post as much to Tumblr as much as I do other places.


Blogger: Probably the place you're reading this, because it's where I post the biggest majority of my written work. Most, of not all, of the content here is my own work. I would consider most of it safe for work as well, but that's just my assessment of my own work, so it might be wise to read all this stuff with a cautious eye.


Mastodon.social: @JMichaelShearer@mastodon.social or @JMichaelShearer@mastodon.social . Pretty much the same handle as the one I use on Twitter. There's not much there yet, so I can't say for sure what the content's going to be like. I'm going to need some time to figure out how this one works, as well.


Update 2/06/24: I'm on Bluesky now, too: @JMShearer.bsky.social As of this update, I'm not sure how much I'll use it going forward. I suppose that depends on how things go on Twitter. We'll see, I guess.


And that's the list, for now. Things are in more of a state of flux now than they have been lately, so it's hard to say how all this is going to play out. I'm not sure where I'm going to wind up, exactly. There's still a handful of folks I follow on Twitter who's plans I don't know for sure. I'm planning on following them once I know where they're going, but as of this writing, I don't know that yet.


If you're following me on Twitter, here's a short list of other places to find me if things go south as quickly as it sounds like it might. If you're following me or know me other places, see you there, and I hope this list helps some.


Until next time, stay safe out there. See you around, if I don't get a chance to say it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment