Thursday, February 23, 2023

A No Good Choices Day

At least for some things, anyway.


We had a blizzard in my area the last few days, the second one of the year. It's the kind of thing that happens this time in my area this time of year. In this case we got about 12.5 inches of snow, plus 30-plus mile an hour wind to blow it all around. Getting around is extremely difficult at best in this situation.


The two of these storms we've had this year have been bad enough that I've called into work one day either before or after because I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it in. Between the foot of snow we got with this storm and the 14 or so inches we got around the first of the year, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get out of the parking area at my apartment, let alone to any of the major streets I take to work. After all, we've had the better part of 30 inches of snow between just these two storms, and ther have been others as well.


The biggest reason behind calling in like this, for me, is not being able to afford getting myself un-stuck from the snow if things were to go that kind of badly. I might be able to, but I'd rather not find out the hard way. In this particular case, it's also a very cold day out there today, too, with over-day highs in the low single digits, so things going wrong like that could also lead to cold-related injuries that I'd also like to avoid if at possible.


At the same time, I feel bad about not making the effort to get there somehow. Much as I may need a little more time for myself than I've been getting lately, I'm also not fond of getting it just this way. I feel at least a little bit bad about going for what seems to be a safer option for myself when other people are taking a chance on getting to and from work in this kind of weather. I feel at least a little bit like I'm being a coward when I might not actually be.


That's where the “no good choices” thing comes in. On the one hand, there's taking what seems, at least to me, a bit much of a chance for only a relatively small benefit, while on the other, there's the sense that maybe I'm being way to cautious about all this, that maybe I should have taken the chance.


Regardless, I'm not sure which the right choice would have been, and I'm worried that whichever one I did make was going to be the wrong one. I don't really think I made a bad or wrong choice to do what I did here, simply because this has the feel of a situation where there are no good or right decisions to make. All I can do now is try to make the best of the situation I've put myself into and hope it all works out for the best.


So that's where I am today. We'll just have to see what comes of tomorrow and hope that it works out better.


See you soon, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment