Saturday, February 25, 2023

MiSTing: Digimon: Digidefenders: Episode 6, Part Two

After the first part of this one, I suspect it's obvious why I'd forgotten about it for six months after starting it. I'm afraid this part isn't much better, but at least I'm getting it up in a more reasonable amount of time, if you can call a month and a half or so more reasonable.


This time, we're starting right off with a South Park joke and a half-missed Mystery Science Theater reference. The South Park bit hasn't aged well, because if I'm not mistaken, the show and its creators have fallen out of favor, but I'll be damned if I can remember just why. If I'd gone just a bit farther with the “bite me” line, I would have been quoting the toaster strudel sketch from the Devil Doll episode of Mystery Science Theater.


But missed opportunities aside, this is a mercifully short part, so I'll just get on with it and say more at the end.


+++++ ======= +++++ ======== +++++++ ======= ++++++ ======

[All return to theater]

>

JESSE: Where's Guilmon?
TAKATO: Sleeping behind the snack counter.
MARI: Ah.

>Dinga tried to sniff out Ashley's scent and followed it two miles 
>out from the wire fence.
>

JESSE: But there was no trace of Ashley where the trail went cold.
TAKATO: That would be one wierd abduction story.

>Ashley was huddled up against a cliff face.  Her shirt was torn in 
>several places and her >hair was all frizzled.  Puka was lying on its side.

JESSE:[Kyle] Oh my God, Airdramon killed Puka!
TAKATO:[Stan] That bastard!

>
>Dinga dropped Ashley's D-4 and card pouch and barked.
>
>Ashley and Airdramon both saw her.  "Dinga, you brought my D-4."  But Airdramon 
>was already moving in for another attack.  When he was low enough, Dinga leaped 
>onto his back and >started clawing and biting on him.  "DINGA, NO!"
>

JESSE:[Airdramon] Ah ha!  Bite me!

>"Pathetic weakling."  Airdramon twirled his body and threw Dinga to the ground.  
>Ashley ran to see if her friend was all right.  Dinga was wimpering, but she was alive.

MARI: Hanging on by a thread, but alive.

>
>Airdramon turned towards Ashley again.  Ashley rolled forward and grabbed her D-4 
>and card pouch.
>
>"All right, you sack of numerical data, you'll pay for what you did to my friend.  
>Penguinmon, digimerge!"  Ashley slid her >card through her D-4.  The card immediately 
>took on a life of its own.
>
>"Penguinmon, it's time to show him what you're made of."

TAKATO:[Penguimon] He already knows what I'm made of.

>
>"I'm ready whenever you are, Ashley.  Let's rumble."
>
>"You fool!  I clearly have the advantage here," Airdramon boasted flapping his wings.

MARI: Showoff.

>
>"That's what you think.  Penguinmon, digivolve."
>
>DIGIVOLUTION
>
>"Penguinmon, digivolve to... Saberdramon!"  Saberdramon was similar to Birdramon in
> every way except for the color of his >feathers which were a charcoal black.
>
>"What?  What are you?"  Airdramon asked.
>
>------------------Digimon--------------------------------------Database-----------------------
>
>Name: Saberdramon
>Level: Champion
>Type: Bird Digimon
>Attribute: Vaccine
>Attack: Black Saber, Black Talon
>
>Saberdramon: I was once known as Penguinmon, now I digivolved to my champion level.  
>Possibly my best features are my wings >which I can use to increase my agility.

JESSE:[Saberdramon] And see this sword?  I'm gonna shove it *so* far up your...
MARI: That's enough.

>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Saberdramon rose into the air and hovered above Airdramon.  He put his wings together, 
>then spread them apart.
>
>"Black Saber!"  Black streams of energy shot into Airdramon.

TAKATO: Who's advatange was clear.
JESSE: As in "not visible."

>                                                                                                   Airdramon disintegrated.
>
>"You did it, Saberdramon," Ashley cried.
>
>"No, we did it.  I couldn't have digivolved without your help, Ashley."
>
>Ashley laughed.
>
>
>
>That night, Ashley came home exhausted.  It had been a busy day.
>
>"So how was your first round?"  Grandfather asked.
>
>"I'm sorry, Grandfather, but I lost a sheep."
>
>"Just one sheep?"
>
>"Yeah."

MARI:[Ashley] And I nearly got eaten alive by a giant dragon from another dimention.

>
>"That's good."

JESSE: OK, Grandpa's nuts.  The girl loses a sixth of the flock and he says it's OK.

>
>Ashley looked up in surprise.  "But Grandfather, I expected you to be upset because you 
>wanted me to get all of them >safely."
>
>"Ashley, nobody gets it right on their first try.  It took me fifteen years to get it 
>pact down."
>
>"Fifteen years?"
>
>"Yup.  So relax, I'm not mad."

TAKATO:[Grandfather] About that, anyway.  Now, if you hadn't lost fully a sixth of the flock...

>
>Ashley let out a sigh and went up to her room.  Plopping down on her bed, she thought, 
>{It's all my fault.  If I hadn't >chosen to leave my D-4 at home, I would've been able to 
>fend off Airdramon sooner.  I guess I learned a big lesson from all this.  You can never 
>quit being a Digidefender, you can only readjust your life to accomodate it.}

TAKATO: Very true.
MARI: Yes, indeed.

>
>
>------------------Digimon--------------------------------------Database-----------------------------------------------------
>----Digidefender Profile----------------------------------------
>
>Name: Hillard, Ashley
>Nickname: Ash (only called by her grandfather)

MARI: At least he doesn't call her "Ash Ketchem."

>Age: 15
>Height: 5'3"
>Weight: 116 lbs.
>Hair: Blonde, long, usually in a plait or pony tail
>Eyes: Blue
>Skin: White

JESSE: Classic European girl.  Blue eyes, blonde hair, and pale skin.

>DOB: 9/14/1987
>POB: Northern Territory, Australia
>
>Digimon: Penguinmon
>          Saberdramon
>
>As the oldest of the Digidefenders, Ashley feels it's her responsibility to make sure that 
>nothing happeens to the others.

JESSE: Now, as far as things *ballpeening* to them...
TAKATO: Hey!
JESSE: What?  It's not like I really expect them to get *hammered* or anything...
MARI: Are you always like this?
JESSE: No.  Sometimes, I'm serious, too.

>                                                      She sort of acts as the "big sister" 
>of the group.  She was in training to inherit her grandfather's sheep-herding profession.  
>But ever since she first became a Digidefender, she's been wondering if this was what she 
>actually wanted to do.
>
>Ashley lives with her mother and grandfather on a farm in the Northern Territory of >Australia.

TAKATO: OK, so here's a question.  Where's Ashley's dad?

>              She also has a variety of pets including a horse named Puku and over three 
>dozen sheep which are taken to market every month.

MARI: So the horse's name is Puku, then?
TAKATO: Well, *was*, untill Airdramon killed it.
JESSE: And it sounds like they were missing at least thirty sheep in addition to the 
one that got eaten.

>
>Over the series, Ashley will question whether or not she is worthy to become a 
>Digidefender and try her best to aid her new friends in battle.

MARI: She'll probably outdo us all.

>
>Digi-Download Data
>Airdramon                                             Saberdramon received 
>Airdramon's data while
>                                                       saving Ashley.  
>Giving Penguinmon
>                                                       Airdramon's data 
>gives him the ability to
>                                                       fly in his rookie 
>form.

MARI: What the...?  What's going on here?
TAKATO: Something doesn't look right.
JESSE: The film must have gotten twisted or something.  Mabey it'll straighten itself out here...

>
>Chameleonmon                                          Penguinmon received 
>Chameleonmon's data on
>                                                       the same day that he 
>battled Airdramon.
>                                                       The data from this 
>Digimon gives Penguinmon
>                                                       the ability to 
>camuflage himself to hide
>                                                       from those who wish 
>to find him.

JESSE: Nope.  I've never had one do that to me before.
TAKATO Wierd.

[All exit theater]

[Lobby.  Everyone is waiting around the laptop/video projector setup]

TAKATO: So, do you suppose this commander person will let Guilmon and me use the 
Dataports to get back home?
MARI: I don't see why not.  It's not all that difficult a thing.
GUILMON: It doesn't hurt, does it?
MARI: Hardly.  Like I said before, it's actually kinda fun.
JESSE: Here's a thought.  How will they know when you're ready to head back?
MARI: Now that you mention it, I was supposed to email her when I got here.  
Let me use your computer for a minute.
JESSE: Sure.  Just be sure to tell your friends that they're welcome here any time.
MARI: OK. [steps up to the laptop] Log onto my email and get that set up. 
[types for a few seconds] OK. [while typing] Am at Mr. Shearer's theater again, am ready to 
come back to base.  Welcome at any time...  Just hit send and wait. 
[looks up] We should have a reply in a few minutes.
TAKATO: Did you mention that I need a way home?
MARI: Oops.
JESSE: Well, I guess you could send her another message while we wait.  
And hitting a link usually helps update my email box.
TAKATO: Really?  Mine just updates automatically.
MARI: Mine, too.
JESSE: I was just thinking that you could save her some time later.
MARI: Good point.
[The computer beeps and an email is displayed through the projector]
MARI: It says: *Thank Mr. Shearer.  Recently detected return of several high-level 
Digimon that disappeared from Odiaba area recently.  One is missing.  Do you have any 
ideas as to its whereabouts?*
GUILMON: That's us!
TAKATO: Ask her if we can datalink home.
MARI:[types for a few seconds] Already done.
TAKATO: Talk about being one step ahead.
MARI: I like to think so.
[The computer beeps again and another email is shown on the wall]
MARI: *If they're willing to stop here for awhile.*  What do you say?
TAKATO: Sure.
GUILMON: OK.
JESSE: Well, hey, it's been nice having you all here.
TAKATO: It's been fun.
GUILMON: Yeah.
MARI: I guess even I had fun.
JESSE And remember, you're all welcome back...
MARI: Thanks.
TAKATO: I guess you can cancell those airplane tickets.
JESSE:OK.
MARI: I guess we'd better be going.
JESSE: See you around, then.
MARI: Goodbye. [points digivice at laptop] Dataport open!  Sioux Falls, South Dakota to 
Digidefenders Headquarters!  [MARI jumps into the screen, followed by TAKATO and GUILMON]
JESSE: Don't see *that* every day...

{fade to black and credits}


{{Credits.  Music: "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf}}

[Voices]

(JMST3K)
Jesse Shearer as JESSE
Melissa Fahn as MARI
Brian Beacock as TAKATO
Stephen Jay Blum as GUILMON

(Digidefenders)
Nancy Cartwright as Ashley
Mary Jo Pehl as Ashley's Mom
Joel Hodgson as Grandfather
Stephen Jay Blum as Airdramom
Brian Downey as Chameleonmon
David Duchovny as Penguimon/Saberdramon

[General]

Digimon copyright Bandai and Saban
LEXX copyright the Sci Fi Channel
Crusade copyright Warner Bros.
The Red Green Show copyright S & S Productions
Pokemon copyright 4Kids Entertainment and Nintendo
Wizard of Oz written by L. Frank Baum
Mega Man copyright Capcom
Priceline.com copyright Priceline, Inc.
Star Trek copyright Paramount
Kiki's Delivery Service distributed by Disney
South Park copyright Comedy Central
"Magic Carpet Ride" performed by Steppenwolf
"Fly" perfomed by Sugar Ray
"Fly Like an Eagle" performed by Seal

[Reference sites; AKA "Jesse Shearer's `I've Gone Stupid' Buttons"]

Future Love Paradise -- The Web's Best Seal Site
	http://www.ultim.demon.co.uk/seal
::Sugar Ray::
	http://www.sugarray.com
Disney's Official "Kiki's Delivery Service" Web Page
	http://www.disney.go.com/Disney/videos/kiki
The Digipedia's Voice Actor's Catalog
	http://www.anglefire.com/anime2/digipedia

[Disclaimers]
1) This MiSTing was done with the permission of the author.
2) None of the actors, voice or otherwise, were consulted with regards to or compensated 	for being named here.
3) None of the web sites listed here were consulted in regards to or compensated for 	being listed here.  Nor did they offer compensation for such.

Stringer:
>
>Ashley looked to the sky and spotted something unusual.  A piece of the sky was 
>becoming distorted, like a pond after a stone is thrown in it.  Suddenly something 
>appeared in a flash of numbers.  It was long and serpentine-like with two large red 
>wings.  It swooped down like a jet and actually gobbled up one of the sheep.

+++++ ======= +++++ ======== +++++++ ======= ++++++ ======


This was one that was kind of hard to know how to break. It was a bit long to post all at once, but the parts it came into were maybe a little short.


As I was looking at the end credits, I see that I went for Joel Hogson and Mary Jo Pehl as Ashely's grandpa and mom, respectively. I've seen both in their Netflix and Gizmoplex Mystery Science roles, at least to some extent, and I think they might work better now than they did 20 years ago, though I say that without having seen his Season 13 episodes prior to writing this.


It might be interesting to revisit some of the websites in the credits 20 years on, just to see if they're still up.


I'm hoping it won't take me another six months to get chapter seven of this going, but I was hoping thiat with this one as well. Either way, see you soon, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment