Monday, March 11, 2024

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #087: Lore Dump, Part Four

I'm back at this after just shy of a month this time.


This time around, we get to go after Kracken. It was easy enough to figure out because there was an underwater scene in the first half of the lead-in area. When the party first enters, we see Quina trying to swim in the water we find ourselves in, and eventually they start to drown a little bit. This all ends when Zidane explains that they're not actually underwater. Quina stops floating and can breath normally again after. I apologize for the unmarked spoiler here, but I can't think of any way to describe this bit without it. The whole sequence reminds me of a scene in an anime called Digimon: Tamers, where a pair of the heroes wind up in a similar situation and figure out that the water's only a simulation of the world they're in, so they'll be alright to breathe and move normally in because their electronics still worked normally in spite of seeming to get drenched in the water. How Zidane seemed to just know that, I'm not entirely sure. Granted, quite a lot of the environments in this part of the game have been advanced simulations, so I guess that might explain it.


Before going forward to the next section, I went back to the previous save point and swapped Steiner for Quina in the party so I could at least try to eat some of the monsters in the area. No luck, unfortunately. There was one called Iron Man, that I think I've mentioned before, that couldn't be eaten; another called Stilva that I may already have gotten the Blue Magic from; and Kracken couldn't be eaten because it was the boss.


In the second half of the area, all the playable characters get to put in an appearance, and several of them note that they seem to know that Terra was once completely covered in water, in spite of many of them having been born on Gaia instead. They speculate that maybe there was a common source for life in this game.


The fight with Kracken wasn't as difficult as I'd feared it might be because I'd decided to just forge on ahead with Quina still in Steiner's spot because Quina needed the experience. I managed to steal a couple things from this boss: I know I got a Wizard Staff from it, and I think I got another Genji Helm as well. Beyond that, the fight was relatively easy. Quina's Mighty Guard spell came in handy, as did getting limit breaks for pretty much everybody. Being able to spam Vivi's strongest lightning spell really helped, in no small part because this boss has two minions with it, also weak to lightning. Caves of Narshe says that Flare's another good spell to use, but I'm not sure I've got that yet, or if I ever will.


There were a couple “Of Course...” moments in this fight, as well. The first was that of course Quina wound up dead at the end of the fight, since I needed to get experience for them. I guess it's a good thing we don't get that from bosses, and I think I have all the abilities I can get for them.


The second was that Wizard Staff, or “Rod” as the game calls it. It's a weapon for Dagger that teaches her Curaga, the highest level curative spell I think the game has. Of course, she gets that now, right near the end of the game. Makes me think I missed something on the previous disk, because that would have come in handy before.


The room after the boss fight is a clock room sort of thing with a hidden save point in it that I just happened to find without really thinking about it. That's where I decided to stop for the night because I needed to get myself some dinner and I still had some chores to do and need to start getting to bed at a somewhat more reasonable time than I have been lately.


I'm going to wrap this up with a link to the Twitch channel I had on while I was writing this: KoboldSprigg. She tends to do various sorts of RPGs, usually ones with team play involved. It's a nice vibe, if you're into the sort of “cute” the group seems to have going on. Worth checking out, just to see.


Anwyway, hopefully, I'll be back sooner than I was this time. I'm still enjoying this, and I think knowing that I'm getting closer to the end is really helping with that. Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.


See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment