Friday, March 15, 2024

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #088: Lore Dump, Part 5

I just may start doing this more consistently again, if things keep up like this.


I just hope I don't wind up jinxing myself somehow here.


At any rate, we're coming up on the end of the game here. I knew we'd make it eventually. It's simultaneously longer and sooner than I had expected.


Before we get there, though, we've got one more bit of lore to get through, and a fight with Lich. On the way to the fight, I got Vivi's final weapon, the Mace of Zeus, which teaches him Doomsday. On the one hand, it seems like a good spell, but it takes 150 AP to learn, like Dagger's Curaga spell, which makes me wonder if I wasn't supposed to get this earlier.


Just before we get to the fight with Lich, Garland shows us the birth of Gaia, saying that it was part of his purpose. He then sends us up a ladder, telling us to just go and see what was up there.


Turns out, it was the weapon for Vivi and the fight wit Lich. The actual fight itself was the hardest of this batch of Elementals, but it was still easier than I had expected. I think most of the difficulty I had with it was self-inflicted because I just kept forgetting to use Dagger's Float spell, so I had to keep reviving characters. The good news is that I stole the Genji Gloves and Siren's Flute from it, so there is that. I missed the third item, a Black Robe, but that's been par for the course for most of the game.


Once Lich is taken out, the party gets to take a leap of faith into what seems to be open space. It took me awhile to get through this section because I wasn't sure how much control I had over the party. Once I did get to the end, there was one last bit of lore from Garland, explaining that the reason the party suddenly had access to everyone's memories is because all life is connected through something called the Crystal, and that just sticking to one's own memories from within their own lifetime is to be limited and scared, and that the only way to move on is to accept that everything is one.


After that story, it's time to jump into a glowing bit and go through something called the Crystal World, where everything is all shiny and made of crystal. There's even crystal versions of the Elementals we just fought. I kind of rushed through all that because, in another fairly standard thing for me, I was doing all this way late at night, so I think I missed the Excalibur for Steiner, assuming I didn't already get it someplace before.


At any rate, there was a handy save point that I took advantage of before we get to the real end of the game. I'll have to intentionally set aside time for that, since I suspect that's going to take some time, and it's just not going to happen between like 11 PM and 1 AM like this has. When I finally get to that, I'll probably find out just how hard all this will really be, because so far, this part of the game has been a good deal easier than I was expecting. Once I get into that, I suspect I'll have several decisions to make regardless of how it all goes.


But, as always, it's getting late as I write this, so I'm going to wrap this up with another Twitch link to the streamer I had on while I was writing. In this case, it was NoxyVR, who was doing an art stream at the time. Maybe one of these times I'll actually put on one of the ones doing a Final Fantasy game, but this is where I am for now.


Like I said, though, it's time to wrap up and get to bed. Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.


See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment